New Year's Resolutions

by serendipity 9 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

As JWs, we weren't supposed to make New Year's resolutions. I secretly did so for years, anyway.

Last year, I resolved to give less unsolicited advice. I've done pretty well in my personal life, but it took me longer to apply to JWD. :-)

This year holds major changes for me that will shape my resolutions:

1. The kiddo turns 18 in a few weeks, she'll start college and we'll redefine our roles. I hope this occurs smoothly.

2. I hope to find love this year and will put effort into meeting men rather than hiding at home.

3. I also want to pursue a new creative hobby. I don't know exactly what that is yet, but I plan to have fun finding it.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I've been thinking about this for the last two days!

I think this year I'm going to work on my personal relationships. I'm quite content to be on my own, but I need to reach out to others more, spend more time with friends and make some new ones.

BB

• mama1119
    mama1119

I have alot this year

1. Lose the baby weight.

2. Start Pilates again!

3. Budget Budget Budget!

4. Go back to school

5. Get involved with some charity work

6. Work on being more social( I tend to want to hide out at home nowdays)

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Here are my writing goals for the new year:

• Create poetry/writing/history book. Lost soul mate is sample chapter.
    • Clean up first novel
    • Clean up first nano novel
    • Assemble short-story book
    • Submit a poem a month.
    • Submit a short story or article a month
    • Start work on memoir
    • Finish work on JW story
  • jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

1. cuss more

2. gain weight

In years past, I've tried the opposite without success, so this year I'm setting goals I can achieve.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    3. I also want to pursue a new creative hobby. I don't know exactly what that is yet, but I plan to have fun finding it.

Try scrapbooking.................I am not really artistic, but love to do all kinds of craft projects so I try to develop the "artist within". I have been scrapbooking for about 10 years and love it, love it. Really gets my creative juices flowing.

My new year's resolutions (I always did them as a JW too) are:

1. have to lose at least 20 pounds, ideally 50

2. change some bad habits that affect my health (mainly getting some exercise incorporated into my life)

3. clean out drawers and cupboards and the file cabinet (I've made this one every year for years and haven't done it yet, but this year I AM GOING TO DO IT!!)

• zagor
    zagor
    As JWs, we weren't supposed to make New Year's resolutions.

Isn't it funny, that JW then demand agreeing to their convention resolutions. Makes you want to puke

Well your points look like a good plan, I wish you all the luck in the world (though luck doesn't have much to do with it)

I've been thinking about similar things in last few days and what I really want to achieve that will have long lasting effect. One thing I'm almost certain of doing is to seriously start working on my doc degree. The other thing is I really want to travel to few places.

Really awesome thing would be to find the person of your dreams there too, but that is one of those things you can never plan for, they just tend to happen.

• zensim
    zensim

I find resolutions are better written/conceived if we first write down everything that we are grateful for and all the great things that happened in 2006.

Resolutions can be also negative self-talk, focussing on all the areas we want to fix. And it is much harder to achieve something if we are down on ourselves. So when writing resolutions just check whether they feel inspiring or whether they are just thinly disguised "I am not happy with myself".

I was thinking about this the other day and thought about meetings. So many times you hear people say "I didn't feel like going to the meeting but I am so glad I did afterwards because I felt soooo upbuilt". Next time I hear that from someone I am going to ask them next time to check in with how they are feeling mid-meeting. Because really what happens is that all you hear (or read for the first 3 pages of one of the mags) is down, down, down, negative, negative, negative, fear inspiring, fear inspiring, fear inspiring, and then right at the end they throw you some "GREAT" news and you leave feeling so much better. But hey, what really happened was they took your mood down 10 points and then built you up 3 points and compared to what you were feeling when you were in the fear and negativity, you now feel grateful! Not to mention dependent (this is a typically emotionally abusive scenario).

So my NY's resolutions are just to continue to grow on what I have already achieved and just become more of who I am. I am going to be even more open to life - all of it! I will be more open to love - in whatever form it comes. I will be more open to receiving - because in receiving I am able to give more. I am going to remember more often that I ALWAYS have a choice as to how I feel and at the same time always remain true to how I really do feel (and find strength from the courage I know I have). I am going to love more, dance more, laugh more and find more friends who want to share in the joy of life, rather than the "life's so hard/the world is so bad" mentality.

I wish the same for everyone and may all your other resolutions be effortlessly achieved.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I forgot one:
    1) Go on a gabbly diet. ;-)

• zagor
    zagor

happy birthday serendipity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit