What is the societies cut on bethel tours ?

by 5go 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 5go
    5go

Seems they must get something from them ? I mean it's a company that runs soley on JW's going to thier holy sites. LOL

• JK666
    JK666

I am sure there is a kickback, just a question of to individuals at Bethel or the Society. It would be interesting to find out from someone with inside information. JK

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

JWs get to have their faith strengthened by seeing a forgleam of the new world before their very eyes. *cough* sanitized version of beth'el that is *cough*

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is paid nada directly by these companies. Individual JWs may though be paid to facilitate these tours based on their firsthand knowledge of the area. There used to be a hotel near the Wallkill facilities that was owned and run by JWs but they had no connection with the WTS other than being JWs. It is no big deal to tour, you don't need a bus trip to do it but many JWs don't like to do the driving, worry about the parking, or the hotels. The WTS used to have a list of hotels (like the convention list) that supposedly gave a special rate to large groups of JWs. Is there a kickback to that, not that I ever heard of and my ear was pretty close to the source.

The people that rake in the dough are the JWs who own these businesses and use their "brothers and sisters" as a source of "great gain."

*** km 9/97 p. 3 Announcements ***·

It is important that groups of 30 or more persons planning to visit the Society’s facilities first correspond by mail with the Central Tour Desk at 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, NY 12563-9204. The Central Tour Desk will care for groups that will be visiting Brooklyn Bethel, Watchtower Farms at Wallkill, the Watchtower Educational Center at Patterson, or the Jersey City Assembly Hall. Please provide information on the number coming and the dates and times for visiting each location. The Society will provide a description of the tours that are available as well as a map giving directions to each location. LODGING INFORMATION HAS BEEN SENT TO THE CONGREGATION ELDERS AND MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE CONGREGATION SECRETARY.

• joe_black
    joe_black

My wife who "studied" back in the late 90's with someone who knew the owner of the tour company. She has received brochures periodically from their company offering various packages. I actually know that it is owned by a P.O. of a congregation in the area where the witness that studied with my wife used to live. It has also come to my attention that there are also very rich JW financial backers whom he owes alot of money to. Regarding the brochure, I wonder if all JW's names and even their "studies" are on their mailing list?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    their company offering various packages

When I was a congregation secretary in the UK such a package was unheard of. It would fall on me to organize a coach hire and arrange a date with the London Bethel. Of course distances are shorter over here. I do not recall making a specific donation for the congregation.

There used to be a firm that arranged Witness tours of the British Museum, but we still arranged our own transport. The firm had Pioneers taking tours and counting their time. I guess they were unpaid. So the tours were free or at a minimal charge

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i don't think i completely understand your question... JW's don't have to pay for a tour, but they will usually give a donation after the tour... and it keeps them reminded of how much work goes into printing their literature.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

oh my goodness, i forgot how different BROOKLYN bethel tours are compared to georgetown (canada's branch) tours. please ignore my post

• 5go
    5go

I am not talking about the actual tour it's a donation. but a company that gets you there and takes to other places.( you know the places you really wanted to go to but now you can say you went to bethel )

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I hate the word "forgleam" - the WT use it to represent anything they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit