Urgent!! I am biting my nails!

by Schism 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Schism
    Schism

You guys, help me out here please!

If you read my post about my dad, you understand why I am a bit nervous. He is calling now. I ignored the first ring, but I only have so long.

He is going to want to know if I thought about what he said, and if I will go back to the meetings. How do I say no??

He just left a message on my SO's phone wanting me to call. I don't want to talk to him! He just freaked out on me 2 days ago. It's way too soon. He is pushing me... Please give me ideas on what to say before he calls back

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, dad, are you going to freak out on me again? Because if you are, this will be a really short phone call. Just to warn you, I can't take it. So don't be mad if I hang up on you, OK?

or

don't answer

• Satanus
    Satanus

Say you can't talk right now cuz you are going to throw up. You got a flu, or something.

• Schism
    Schism

Should I just not answer at all? Now I'm staring at my phone dreading his next attempt. This is so childish of me!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Parents have that effect on their children. I think I was in my late thirties when I finally woke up that I could do what I like, the worst dad could do was swear under his breath. LATE THIRTIES! duh

Hear what you are saying. Could you tell dad...

I don't want to talk to you right now! You just freaked out on me 2 days ago. It's way too soon. You are pushing me...
  • Satanus
    Satanus

You don't need to answer your phone, or the door bell, if you don't want to. You don't need to buy stuff that the tv tells you to

S

• jgnat
    jgnat
    You don't need to buy stuff that the tv tells you to

LOL, Satanus, so true!

• restrangled
    restrangled

There is a time and place for everything. Tell him that you are busy but you will alot some time in the future to discuss this topic... like a week before the memorial. You'll be hounded around that time anyway. So, tell him that you will discuss this with him in April. Until then, the topic is off limits.

• Schism
    Schism

Late 30s huh? I don't like the sound of that!

I could tell him that. But he won't listen. If you knew him, you'd understand. He is the kind of person who will want to talk, and you can tell him you are running late, but he will totally ignore you and go on talking for an hour. It is torture.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Schism...you can always use the "I'm too depressed to discuss this now" act. You can tell him that this is causing a lot of stress in your marriage and you feel it best to not do anything for the time being. Ask him to respect your space. If that doesn't work, you'll just have to get a little more backbone and tell him that even though you still respect him as your father, you are now married and you and your husband have to decide what is best for your family spiritually. Remind him of the scripture that says a man and a woman are to become as one...not in-laws!!! Hopefully, that will sober him up and he will back off for a while.

Eventually, you are going to have to do that anyway, for the sake of your marriage and you shouldn't leave it up to your husband to handle YOUR parents. Set boundaries for your parents and then let know when they cross them. Your father has already stepped way passed his!!!!!!!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit