Knocking on Doors on Holidays

by Medic!? 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Medic!?
    Medic!?

Did anyone else's congregation "strongly encourage" this practice? When I was a worshiping Rusell.... Jehovah. I felt sick to my stomach and disgusted that these people had absolutely no consideration for the beliefs or practices of others. And then they have the nerve to talk badly about the householder once they received a rude response. I saw the JW's in my neighborhood on Christmas Day this year. Our curtains were open while opening presents. I didn't bother to answer the door, but made sure that they saw with my hand gesture exactly how many true Gods there were when they peeked in the window!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

How Many are there?

Outaservice

• blondie
    blondie

It is required of the service overseer to set up a schedule for field service on all worldly holidays, time, place, and conductor. There are regularly scheduled announcements in the KMs encouraging it.

For years...................

Blondie

• gabriella
    gabriella

Yes, it was "strongly encouraged" in my congregation and they thought that they were being so polite by starting at 10am instead of 9:30 that morning. Christmas is one day that I refused to go out even when I was pioneering. I felt like, if we didn't celebrate it, that was our business but that we shouldn't go bother people while they were celebrating or rub it in that we didn't celebrate or that it was "wrong". Plus, they would always come out with an anti-christmas magazine in December and that was the most embarrassing thing to be offering that morning.

• garybuss
    garybuss

We went out on every holiday. Once Knorr got the bright idea to have us all go to the cemeteries on Memorial day in the USA and close for literature sales to people grieving at grave sites. He had a special tabloid printed up that reminded me of the Kingdom News information sheets Adams has the Witnesses using now.

I did it with my family one year. Never again! Later I quit going out on all holidays. It's too confrontational for my taste.

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Of course. Didn't you hear about the one where the brothers got invited in, were handed a drink and something to eat, and some time later asked "so, what side of the family are you from?"

• Highlander
    Highlander

Didn't you hear about the one where the brothers got invited in, were handed a drink and something to eat, and some time later asked "so, what side of the family are you from?"

Haha, I forgot about that one. I guess it's another one of the j-dubs infamous urban legends. Maybe something like this happened once, but I can rest assured it didn't happen

in every congregation.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I Never felt comfortable going from door to door, especially on Holidays.

• Atpeaceatlast
    Atpeaceatlast

This morning, my husband got a knock on our door and it was a JW lady that dropped off the infamous tract the month before asking if he wanted to discuss it with her. My husband just looked at her as if she were nuts and told her no thanks, we definitely are not talking to you, and slammed the door. My husband never knew what JWs were all about until he met me; he still can't understand how people can be so duped. I really need to contact the nearest KH and tell them to take my address off their list. It shouldn't annoy me, it's been years since I left them behind, but I still have no patience for them. I rather perish than deal with their crap again.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Turn-about is fair play. Here is the plan:

Who:

Date: Passover/Memorial, 2007.

You are dressed comfortably.

Using your carefully prepared list of local JWs, you go and pay a vist on each and every one in turn. Conversation goes something like this:

Knock-Knock!

You: hello. At this time of year, I am calling on people like you, in my neighborhood, asking them, "Do you ever think we will live in a time free from religious bigotry?"

JW-Householder: Who are you?

You: I'm one of your neighbours. Did you know that many strongly religious people don't really understand the religious beliefs of their neighbours? As a Pagan/Humanist/Wiccan/(insert your religion here) I just wanted to let you know more about my beliefs. For instance, we can see here in Part 2 of Thomas Paine's "The Age Of Reason" that the "bible" story is not even internally consistent. That is why I believe that...

JW-Householder: (angrily interrupting) You've picked a fine day to call! Today is the most important day on my religious calendar!

You: Excuse me?!???!!!????

JW-Householder: (still testy) Yes! It is the memorial of Christ's death.

You: I know, I know! As I said, that is why we are visiting our neighbours like yourself. We find that at this time of the year people are thinking of religious things.

JW-Householder: Wait-- you KNEW it was a special day for me, and still you came around to bother me with your un-godly beliefs?

You: Yes, as I said, we deliberately make an extra effort to reach people like yourself at this time of the year.

JW-Householder: Well, I think it is very rude of you. I don't care for your message, and I especially don't want to hear it on today, of all days!

You: So you think what I did was ignorant and inappropriate?

JW-Householder: YES!

You: So, I guess my point is made, and I won't be seeing you come around and bother me and my neighbours during our religious holidays (Easter/Passover, XMas, Channuka, Kwanza, St. Valentines, etc. etc?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit