Is there such thing as a true belief?

by The Dragon 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

In a court of law telling the truth is not considered enough.

To present testimony which might lead to conviction, a witness is required to swear before God to tell.....

1.THE TRUTH

2.THE WHOLE TRUTH

3.NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

Now, stop and ask yourself whether those 3 designations tell us something about how serious a matter it is to establish a fact.

Coloring testimony by omitting uncomfortable details is eliminated. Spinning one's version of events is prevented by constraining the testimony to the reality and not the perception.

In other words; a true fact can only be represented when it is stripped of opinion, bias, personal feeling and conjecture and must be a direct experience rather than hearsay.

Now, with the above in mind, ask yourself why testimony is not permitted when it is:

1.Hearsay

2.Opinion

3.Exaggeration

4.Intuition

5.Heartfelt conjecture

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Answer: we cannot know something based on opinion the way we know it when we experience it directly as a witness to the event itself.

Fact: Eyewitness testimony is the least reliable testimony.

Why?

Officers of the law and the courts will tell you that people's recall of events when under stress is largely a matter of their imagination.

Now, put yourself on a jury where the testimony is not direct testimony, but, only the repeating of somebody's assertions pertaining to events thousands of years previous.

Do you see what "belief" really is?

BELIEF:

Naive acceptance without proof of another person's biased, imaginative, gullible version of a non-witnessed event.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

A BBC series on the history of Atheism that's currently on youtube discussed 'belief' and the meaning of it. Unfortunately I can't remember which episode the discussion was in. It's an interesting set of programs though and well worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=atheism+miller

• Green Chille
    Green Chille

I believe it takes and extraordinary "LIFE FORCE" to create all life we see on earth.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Is there such thing as a true belief?

The question needs qualifying

1. A belief is true, if inherently believed - as opposed to a false belief being an attempt or struggle to convince oneself of something not inherently believed - ie. to "make believe"
    2. Whether or not the substance of one's belief is true is a subject of much debate - "I am" is considered to be true, as opposed to "the gb are directed by gawd"
  • Terry
    Terry
    I believe it takes and extraordinary "LIFE FORCE" to create all life we see on earth.

You are filtering what you see.

There is more death, decay, attrition, atrophy, chaos and random happenstance going on than there is mere life.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think the belief and truth are two completely different things. Belief is saying that you feel their is a high power (God, Spirit, Whatever). You might go to church, perform acts of belief and in the end you find yourself more covered in time of doubt at the end of your life, then belief. Truth, is when you do not need to do acts to prove something in front of the world, as you feel you truth as part of you and within you. When you come to the end of this life, you are comforted in not feeling doubt as it was never there, as it was simply truth. I think for the most part, Witnesses and many Christians have a huge belief, but very little truths.

• the sage
    the sage

[A belief is subjective. I 'believe' that this is true/not true. Truth rests on facts. Facts may be either verifiable and demonstrable, or undiscovered and unknown. The trueness or otherwise of a particular belief therefore rests on whether it is based on facts (whether the believer realises it or not). Once a belief is undeniably proven to be 'true' it is no longer a belief, but a fact.]

Yaddayadda!, I'm in agreement with your comment. It appears that complete truth will be revealed in time. At present our conscientious perception of truth appears to be the important thing with God, not necessarily a complete recognition of truth. Apparently that will come as the light of truth becomes totally manifest. 1Pet 3:21.

Terry! appreciate your calling attention to the structure of justice in the present legal system of most democratic governments.

The Sage!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit