Society CD ROM vs BOUND VOLUMES

by ballistic 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I think the CD rom's have been edited. Is that correct? I heard they removed a LOT of incriminating articles and reworded them - like the Oct. 8, 1975 article on the whole 1975 scam.

As AlanF has stated, it is not the CD-ROMs that have a problem with being edited from the bound volumes. I've never run across an instance of text in the
    CD ROM that varied from what was in the bound volumes.

The REAL problem is that the bound volumes HAVE been edited from what was originally in the loose magazines, and in every instance that I know about, it was to hide or cover-up an incriminating statement made in the loose mags.

The WTS is smart enough to figure out that by offering bound volumes, dubs would just heave their old loose magazines (and thus the real evidence).

I don't remember any bound volumes before the 1960's. However, the society did sell binders which included wires which ran through the middle of the loose magazines and attached to the binders. They were big, bulky blue things that said either "Watchtower" or "Awake!" My collection of magainzes from the 1940's through the 1950's were all put in those binders.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey ballistic - my recollection of events around the vulgarly-fast reissue of bound volumes matches yours perfectly - i remember not being able to afford them and seeing all the 'better-off' brothers collecting stacks of new sets every few weeks ...

as for OhHappyDay and the green-black-reference sequence - YES ! - i came in just after the green phase and thought the green bibles were especially for kids as so many had them ...

you have to hand it to the society though - they are masters of marketing - make the premier league and their three-strips-a-year teams seem like amateurs ...

• Room 215
    Room 215

MacHislopp,

What you say about the WT indexes is correct; they have in some cases deleted references to articles that they now consider embarassing. One prominent example was the November 1976 series on ``Sacred Service.''
    Unless one remembers that it was published, he/she will never find any reference to it in their index.

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I was a dub, the bound volumes appeared about a month after the year had finished.

I checked my Mums volumes, they date back to '57, the references to 1975 in the 1968 volumes is unchanged, but then, when that volume was issued, 1975 was still a few years off.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• OhHappyDay
    OhHappyDay

What is the exact meaning of DUBT ???

• thewiz
    thewiz

After reading George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm and seeing both movies. It did cross my mind, that changing the text was possible.

"The past does not exist the way you think it did. Here let us refresh your memory and let us present to you what it did say..."
    . Remember the photographs of Mao Zte Tung, where party members who no longer fit in his ideology were air brushed out?

It wasn't until I got rid of ALL my books (since it was all on the CD) however, that I thought of the changing text possibility. Therefore I could not readily indentifiy any editing.

In retrospect , I feel that the reissue of bound volume releases could also be an opportunity to revise the text. It may have also been the beginning of the WTBS project to put the pubs in an online format.

Once online they could send the docs to any media format they want. They can send it to the presses or they can send it to a disc copy. They can send it around the world, instantaniously. They could also send those online docs, to ever perfecting, translation software (MIPS, MEPS, or whatever it was. -I heard rumoured that they licensed it to IBM). This way there is ONLY ONE resource. If the text is ever revised, then it changes in ONLY ONE place. When it changes for one, it now changes for all. Everything is kept in sync. -Quite smart really.

Also consider, that printed volumes take up much more space, require more care, and are vastly more costly. Look at Britannica, it costs over $1000. But on CD, or even better, DVD media, it can be had for as little as $40-$60.

As much as I use computers and everyone I know that uses them, all of us find it difficult to read, at length, on a computer (try reading any volumes on the Guttenburg project, it gets tiring really quick).

What we usually do when looking at API's and techinical references, is to print them and put them in binders. The disadvantage of that is that the online resource can change indescriminantly as updates are released. Your hard copy is now outdated. Also holding a book in your hand has a different more comfortable feeling.

I'd rather fall asleep in my comfy chair with a book in my lap, then in front of my flickering monitor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit