Shephering Visit - Update

by stevieb1 11 Replies latest jw friends

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

You may have read my thread from last week entitled "My Personal Turmoil" in which I discussed my congregation elders wanting to meet with me to "encourage" me to believe that Jehovah is using the Watchtower Society as His organization. I said in that thread that I had told them to leave me alone, well anyway on Tuesday night the same elder phoned me to accept a "shephering visit" and again I refused. Not taking no for an answer he approached me again in the Kingdom Hall on Thursday and told me that I must accept a shepherding visit out of necessity because I was in spiritual danger and the elders wanted to "help". Again I refused.

Anyway to cut a long story short the Presiding Overseer approaches me and literally forces me to look at Jude 22 with him which says "also, continue showing mercy to some that have doubts; save them by snatching them out of the fire..."

I know that if I accept a shepherding visit all they will try to do is "prove" to me that Jehovah has an organization on Earth as His channel of communication, when I know full well from the Scriptures that this isn't the case. They won't be there to listen to what I have to say, because to them it seems so logical that He has an organization on Earth today. We will be just going round in circles, and because I won't accept their reasoning I will be labelled as rebellious etc, etc.

Now this is a good bit, the PO told me that because I didn't accept all the beliefs JW's hold as their own I was reneging on my dedication vow that I made before I was baptized. I told them unequivocally that I had dedicated myself to Jehovah and not to an organization, but he told me that dedicating myself to Jehovah meant accepting all the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses. Where does loyalty to TRUTH come into this? Am I contractually bound to the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses?

I will let you know of any further developments.......

• joelbear
    joelbear

The Watchtower definitely sees your baptism as a legal contract that you can be held to in their law courts.

I found out about the legalistic side of the bureaucracy when I was at Bethel and that is when I lost faith in there being an earthly organization that is really trying to do god's will.

peace

Joel

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Plus you realize that they are just using this to ultimately DF you?

Slipnslidemaster: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Ben Franklin

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I told them unequivocally that I had dedicated myself to Jehovah and not to an organization, but he told me that dedicating myself to Jehovah meant accepting all the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.

If an elder said that to me, I'd ask him to show me where it says that in the Bible.

Not taking no for an answer he approached me again in the Kingdom Hall on Thursday and told me that I must accept a shepherding visit out of necessity because I was in spiritual danger and the elders wanted to "help". Again I refused.

When the elders say they want to "help," RUN!! Also, they cannot force you to accept a shepherding call. Your home is your own, if you don't want them there, you have the right for them not to be there. They can't disfellowship you for refusing a shepherding call, but they can and will for what you say during that call. And they WILL ask you directly whether you believe that God is using their organization exclusively during our day. If you say no, you are an apostate by their definition, and making that statement in front of two witnesses (the elders themselves) is all they need to df you. When they asked me that question, I answered, "I really don't know what to think right now." OK, so I waffled, but at least I avoided their trap.

My question is, if you really don't believe it is the Truth, why keep going to the meetings? They probably won't hassle you (at least not as much) if you aren't there 3 times a week.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Neon,

I thought it was 5 meetings? hahahahahahaha

Slipnslidemaster: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Ben Franklin

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Slipinslide is right-they're after you-they did it to a friend of mine-they even made him sign a piece of paper saying that he unequivically (sp?) believed in the organization and the leadership of the Governing Body, and all of the teachings of Jehovah's witness so they wouldn't disfellowship him.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

Avoid it if you can, but I think that unless you say something to calm them down, they are definitly going to DF you. They think you are one step from an apostate.

At least that's my opinion.

Ashitaka

• TR
    TR

Stevie,

What year were you baptized?

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

I was baptized in 1988. I believe they changed the two questions circa.1985?

Love to see these so called dedicated to the organization vows challenged in court!

• JBean
    JBean

I would also like to know when they changed the baptismal question. It may help me at some point! I was young so I don't even recall the "seque"!

• MrMoe 2
    MrMoe 2

Being 12 and a minor when I was baptized - I wonder if I was actually bound by law. Are minors legally bound as JW's after baptism?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit