You have ALL been such a DISAPPOINTMENT this year!

by Amnesty Vendor 3 Replies latest social current

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

Happy FESTIVUS to my fellow JWD members!!!

Thus, I have now fulfilled the Airing Of Grievances!

• kls
    kls

Well cool Then i am doing my job right

Happy Festivus to you also

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

For informational purposes only:

Festivus was first invented in 1966 when the father of Daniel O’Keefe, future Seinfeld writer, crafted a unique family holiday with untraditional practices such as the wrestling of the household head to the ground. O'Keefe introduced the holiday into Seinfeld lore in 1997, and a cult phenomenon was born. According to O'Keefe, the only tradition that was made up by the show’s writers was the decorated Festivus pole—everything else was taken directly from his family celebrations.

According to Seinfeld, Festivus is celebrated each year on December 23, but many people celebrate it other times, often in early December. Its slogan is "A Festivus for the rest of us!" An aluminum pole is generally used in lieu of a Christmas tree or other holiday decoration, shedding holiday materialism. Those attending participate in the "Airing of Grievances" in which each person tells each and everyone else all the ways they've disappointed him/her over the past year, and after a Festivus dinner, the "Feats of Strength" are performed. Traditionally, Festivus is not over until the head of the household is wrestled to the floor and pinned.

In the Airing of Grievances, each person present at the celebration tells friends and family of all the instances in which they have disappointed him or her that year

The Feats of Strength is the final tradition that is observed in the celebration of Festivus. Traditionally, the head of the household selects one person at the Festivus celebration and challenges that person to a running match. The person may decline if they have something else to do, such as work a double shift at H&H Bagels. Tradition states that Festivus is not over until the head of the household is pinned in a wrestling match. The Feats of Strength is mentioned twice in the Seinfeld episode before it actually occurs. In both instances, as related below, no actual detail was given as to what the Feats of Strength actually entailed, but in both instances, George Costanza ran out of the coffee shop in a mad panic, implying he had had bad experiences with the Feats of Strength in the past.

• karnage
    karnage

I'm getting a Festivus pole for next year.

http://www.festivuspoles.com/pages/Festivuspoles.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit