Muscle cramps

by Emma 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Emma
    Emma

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried the calcium, magnesium, potassium suppliments in every combination and they didn't help. That's what's so puzzling and frustrating. Blondie, even at this hour the hot dog looks great! These do feel different from the charlie horses I used to get in my legs, they're really sharp and intense. Haven't checked your links yet, but I'm about to. I've finally gotten to the point I can massage, or really rub them, the muscles are cramped so hard they feel like another bone sometimes. One of the things that kind of frightens me is that the heart is a muscle; has anyone ever heard of a connection?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yeah, calcium. Coral calcium is very absorbable and you can suck on the tabs, if you want. For athletes, i have heard that they sometimes inject calcium right into a muscle that is cramping.

S

• Emma
    Emma

Never heard of the injections! But as a last resort... My doctors have never seemed concerned and really don't address it. I should not be surprised that they dont have all the information but you think they'd research it!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Yes Blondie ,I`m still Awake..LOL!!..Going to bed soon,have to make my way back to the ranch in the morning.That ought to take forever.Friggin nasty snow storms lately...OUTLAW

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Emma, I went to the ER this morning because of the very thing that you're talking about! I was so frustrated that I was in tears. I just knew that my electrolytes must be out of balance, but that is not what it was. My problem was that my TSH was too high, which means that my hypothyroidism wasn't under control. My doctor had switched me from Synthroid to Levoxyl. The ER doctor gave me a script for Synthroid and he also gave me a script for Flexeril.

Hypothyroidism can cause muscle cramping. I tell you I'd get out of bed and try to walk the cramps out and couldn't. It seemed like the no matter which way I turned my feet or legs they'd cramp. It was like a Catch 22.

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

Fatigue
    Weakness
    Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
    Coarse, dry hair
    Dry, rough pale skin
    Hair loss
    Cold intolerance
    (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)Muscle cramps and frequent muscle achesConstipation
    Depression
    Irritability
    Memory loss
    Abnormal menstrual cycles
    Decreased libido

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html

• Emma
    Emma

Mrs. McD,

Wow, what an experience. When I first started having these, I wanted to call 911; I was just panicked they're so painful and imobilizing. I'll print out your message and take it with me to my next appointment.

I hope you're feeling better!

Emma

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

I regulary get a cramp in my calf muscle it goes as hard as a golfball, painfull........

• ferret
    ferret

I get them often, one leg is bad but if I get them in both legs at the same time ouch! ouch! ouch!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I get them often, one leg is bad but if I get them in both legs at the same time ouch! ouch! ouch

Ferret, I've been up and down all night with those kind of cramps. I didn't take the Flexeril last night. I just took it. Heck, I didn't want to be groggy today; but I can't take these cramps. You might want to check in with your doctor.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think I know just what you are talking about. I've had those for the past month. Calcium supplements didn't help..........I take those reguarly. Aleve helps very well though. Getting in and out of bed really hurts. The pain is pretty bad and sometimes it stops me in my tracks and each step is excruciating. Mine are in my upper thighs and extend into my groin area.

One of my daughters in law is a medical lab tech, so has a bit of medical training, and she said that kind of pain is from a pulled muscle, either in the thigh or abdomen. We had our two year old grandson for a weekend recently, and I tried not to lift him, but I ended up doing it a few times anyway. That must have caused it.

Just had all my blood work done, and thyroid is normal. Damn! I keep wanting to hear I have low thyroid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit