Just attended my first 'Church event' in over 40 years! Maybe two!

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest forum suggestions

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Jeff!

It is a shock to see a woman pray isn't it. I'm used to it now though, and for them to deliver talks/sermons/whatever...

You know I really respect those that can be open about their beliefs. That's one of the great things about you, your not afraid to tell it how it is even though some might try and give you grief for it.

Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your second church event!

And to the poster who mentioned Amy Grant and Mary Mary... I love them too!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Jeff,

I'm happy for you that you took this step in the direction of your new life. It's amazing isn't it........the things we see that are absolutely beautiful.....that the WT told us were bad and demonic. I have been going to church on a regular basis for several years now and am finding that I am more spiritually fed than I ever was in over 30 years at a KH.

I was attending (and still do sometimes) an Evangelical Free Church but on the invitation of many of my friends who attend an Assembly of God Church, I went to my first service at an AG Church a little over a month ago. WOW! What a difference I experienced there. It is much smaller (about 100 people in one service compared to about 1200 people in 3 services at the Evangelical Church) I love the Evangelical Church but now I love the AG Church even more.

Man.........I always thought those "HOLY ROLLERS" were posessed by Satan and his demons! NOT TRUE! The love and spirituallity I feel there is fantastic. The Pastor of the AG church is sooooooo down to earth and approachable. I wish his sermons could go on even longer than the alloted time. And the people there are full of love and try to live their lives in a Godly manner. I never felt that way listening to a janitor/pseudo self righteous elder quoting 100 scriptures in 45 minutes at a KH.

Hearing someone speak in tongues for the first time kind of jolts your senses, but this one gentleman sounds like someone speaking some Aramic dialect that is so beautiful that my words can't explain it. And me..........what I feel there is something I never felt before. All I can say is that I finally found my HOME CHURCH. They are not a rich Church and the people are "plain" working class...like me.

Don't be afraid to try different churches. I have been to a few and they all are about good Christian living. Asembly of God, Evangelical Free, Christian Missionary Alliance, and one of my favorites of all.......Calvary Chapel (a shame that it is not a convenient drive for me). The main theme and message is far greater than ANYTHING we ever learned as JW's.

HappyDad

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

First time I set foot in church (apart from the empty buildings which I loved to visit too) it was also for a Bible study, only a few weeks after I was df'd. That's usually the best introduction you can have.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Update:

Thanx for all the positive energy and thoughts in your posts. I truly appreciate it.

I left the house apprehensively and left a note for Wifey on the computer that read "Went to Church - [Gulp]"

I went to the little M.E. Church in a little town just 3 miles from my home. When I arrive I find that there is only room enough for maybe 12 cars in the parking lot and a few more could park on the street. So it was obviously a small group. I noticed only two cars in the lot, but that the lights were on inside.

I walked to the front doors. Locked. I walked to the back door thinking maybe they use the back entrance for mid-week Bible study, also locked. I walk back to my car. I sat awhile, wondering just what this meant. I sat in my car for a few minutes. No other cars arrived. I decided to walk up to the back door and try once again. There was a door-bell. Never saw this at a Kingdom Hall. I rang. Soon I hear footfalls coming to the door. A pleasant lady of middle age opens the door. I ask if she is the pastor, since I knew the Pastor was female. No she said. I asked if this was the correct night for the Bible study? She told me yes, but that due to the holidays and having just finished up Rick Warren's "Purpose Filled Life" they were taking a break until after New Years. She invited me in.

I stepped into a small, homey feeling room with maybe 20 pews arranged in two rows. The woodwork in the room was beautifully finished in a dark walnut. Inside I met another lady also. Seems they were holding the choir practice tonight, but no one was there yet. We spoke for maybe 10 minutes, during which I informed them of my 40 year background in a cult. I mentioned that I wondered why I was even at this particular church at all, and the answer [unsurprisingly] that perhaps the Lord had lead me here. I agreed that might be the case. I imagine I looked quite nervous at this point. They invited me to observe choir practice. I politely declined.

While I was there they offered me a copy of the church bulletin, gave me a copy of a daily devotional called the "Upper Room". Just before I left they took my number so that they could call and confirm what night they would resume the Bible study. Then she gave me a copy of a CD of the two of them had made last year entitled " Duet for Him". I will listen to it later this evening, as gospel music has become a passion of mine in recent months.

I must state that one thing that was 'attractive' to me as a witness early in my cultship was the country church atmosphere that held there in the small Kingdom Halls in the 60's. And in those days the love was really there too. [At least much more than in later years]. I felt a similar feeling here, which was both comforting and terrifying in the same moment.

Looks like they return to the normal schedule in two weeks. I shall return.

Jeff

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Well at least it sounds like you've found a friendly place - definitely sounds like it's worth that return visit.

Do you get Christmas day off work? - you could go to the service then maybe.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Do you get Christmas day off work? - you could go to the service then maybe.

I just found out [from Wifey] that the same church where our Grand-Munchkin had her Christmas play this morning has a 7:30 PM evening service on Sunday. A Christmas service.

I think we will all go to that for sure. I do have to work Sunday - but I will be home in time for that one.

Jeff

• bebu
    bebu

I really love the Christmas programs at church. I still enjoy going to midnight mass on Christmas eve, if I can (I'm no longer Catholic, but it's a great mass). Often, it is lots of candles and singing and everyone is excited and bursting with smiles and wishing each other Merry Christmas. Our church has a children's program, singing, and candle light too. The joy is really palpable!

With a grandchild in a program, be prepared for an extra marvelous Christmas experience!!

bebu

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

With a grandchild in a program, be prepared for an extra marvelous Christmas experience!!

bebu

Yes, Bebu, we already attended the children's Xmas play, and it was fabulous. The Christmas eve service should be interesting. I look forward to it. I have considered a midnight Christmas Mass, but wondered if I would like all the ritual of a Catholic service.

Jeff

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Jeff,

I have considered a midnight Christmas Mass, but wondered if I would like all the ritual of a Catholic service.

It doesn't have to be that way. At the church where Mrs Ozzie and I fellowship, we have a lessons and carols service at 11pm Xmas Eve which concludes with communion approaching midnight. It's a beautiful service, so simple, simply Bible readings read by congregation members interspersed with carols. The whole church building is lit by candles and since it's a historic building and quite beautiful, the occasion is quite wonderful. Outside the church is lit by small lights as you might expect at Xmas. Interestingly, it's a service that the congregation themselves prepare and it's a 'must do' event in our church calendar.

All of this in a protestant church - no ceremony except for an occasion of deep meaning.

We have services on Xmas Day but we recognise that these are popular with the "once a year" crowd, but the service having real meaning for us is the midnight one.

You might find that there's a church in your area that does something similar.

BTW glad you're enjoying having 'true freedom'!

Cheers, Ozzie

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

BTW glad you're enjoying having 'true freedom'!

Cheers, Ozzie

thanx Ozzie. You've been a large part of 'getting us there'.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit