Learning Guitar - What is a good beginner guitar - (sell me yours?)

by confusedjw 32 Replies latest social physical

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I've been learning to play for the last 3 weeks and would like to buy myself an acoustical guitar. I've borrowed two, one is a wonderful Yamaha and the other is a Fender made in China, plywood and it sounds not so good.

Those of you who have gone through this - what would you recommend to me if I were your favorite poster?

ps - I've written my own song to play on xmas day for the family - done in true Adam Sandler style.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Get a used Gibson or Martin guitar.

They have been around for years.

There are many guitar makes out there, but, as you have already experienced, there is a wide range in playability.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

If you cannot afford a Gibson or Martin (great choices but can be $$$) then buy a Yamaha, they're a great 1st guitar.

Dismembered

• La Capra
    La Capra

I studied music in college and learned many instruments to get my degree. One thing that I discovered the hard way (through injury) is that of all musicians, beginners need good instruments with good action, playability and tone. Otherwise, musicians learn on a poor instrument and pick up bad habits, positions and techniques to compensate for a poor instrument. Beginners get more satisfying results and are more likely to stick with it when they start with a good instrument.

Whatever you learn to play, get a good instrument. Buy a used one from a local music store that is run by musicians that play themselves. If you change your mind, you can always sell it back and consider the "loss" as your rental cost on the instrument.

Shoshana (who had to give up playing her instrument because years playing on an inferior model caused permanent neck injuries.)

• garybuss
    garybuss

I bought my sons Fender solid body imports for starters. My personal favorite club is an acoustic Fender Japanese import. I'd think take somebody who knows something long shopping.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I play guitar and I found one for beginners. They are reasonably priced and sounds is pretty good. This particular guitar sells for around $200.00 and if on sale like mine was I paid only $99.00 on sale. It is the Jasmine takamine guitar. It rates as the second best for beginners.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

** I've written my own song to play on xmas day for the family - done in true Adam Sandler style.**

Please, Oh! Please oh Please...

Record it and share it with us, too.~~!!

-Denise.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

** I've written my own song to play on xmas day for the family - done in true Adam Sandler style.**

Please, Oh! Please oh Please...

Record it and share it with us, too.~~!!

I second that motion!

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Samick (Korean) makes great guitars for beginners. They have some features and craftsmanship of much more expensive guitar for the price. Another option is a Canadian company called Seagull. They make very high quality guitars for an affordable price. My recommendation - make sure you love palying and are completely devoted to doing it before you spend a lot of money... On the other hand, you might be rich - if so, head to your nearest Guitar Center - enter the climate control room where the Taylors and Martins are racked, and plop down a few grand.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I still have a grooby old Danilectro flat body which seems to be made mostly of kitchen formica.

Does anybody remember the old Ovation acoustic with the rounded back?

I agree with the Gibson if you are serious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit