Evolution on PBS

by patio34 13 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Hi All,

There is a great series airing on PBS re: evolution. It's informative, up-to-date, and entertaining. It's on in my area all Sunday afternoon (it's 8 hours altogether). This week it has been on 4 nites in a row. I really recommend it!!

Pat

• larc
    larc

Hi Patio,

I missed the first night and part of the second, but saw most of parts 2 and 3. It really is an interesting presentation. The sciences, from archeology to genetic research has certainly produced a fascinating smorgasbord of information regarding our origins and our history. How anyone can hold onto the simple myth of Genesis is beyond me.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It's a wonderful series that i wish I had heard of earlier. if there's a re-airing of it, I plan to tape it and keep it next to COSMOS.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Larc and Nathan,
    It's being re-aired in California this Sunday, from 11:00 a.m. on. Nathan, is COSMOS a PBS series? Or what?

Pat

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

http://www.reviewevolution.com/ you might like to check out the couterpoint.

• rem
    rem

Pork Chop,

Just curious. Do you believe evolution happened or do you believe in special creation by god?

Again, just curious.

rem

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    ..........Bertrand Russell

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Pat,

COSMOS was a PBS series years and years ago (I just checked - it had its debut in September 1980!) that was presented by Carl Sagan. You may be able to rent it at video stores - or you can buy it on tape or DVD. There is also "The Best of COSMOS" which is a condensation of the original 13 hour series.

COSMOS was (and still is) magnificent!

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Here's another tidbit for ya

http://www.msnbc.com/news/634804.asp#BODY

Apparently scientists just found a VERY LARGE nesting spot of unhatched dinosaur eggs in a river bed in Argentina..

They estimate that the still unhatched intact baby dino's drowned in their eggs about 80 million years ago during a flooding of the river..

How old was Noah again :-)

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Nathan for the info. I'll see if I can rent it. The library may even have it.

PorkChop, thanks for the tip, but I spent 28 years looking at the counterpoints and want to give scientists a fair consideration. :-)

WannaHelp, thanks--I'll check it out. There's always something in the news about new discoveries, huh? It's so nice now not to have to ignore them or try to fit them in the Bible framework--unsuccessfully.

Pat

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

This counterpoint is a little different from the stuff you've been reading for 28 years. I'm sure you'll be happy to find out that much of it is from scientists, admittedly with a different point of view than is being expressed in the PBS program. Many of those scientists say the probram is biased and simplistic, and doesn't even address the considerable controvery as to the actual process that exists among those who are evolutionists.

But, feel free to watch only what reinforces your own view. Most people are happier that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit