A surprise result on my Dna geneaology test.

by moshe 18 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Most of my other ancestors are from Spain and that's why I look so Spanish.

Bluesapphire- many ,many Spanish Jews were given a choice in 1492- either convert to Christianity or leave Spain and abandon their property. That is where the Sephardic Jews came from originally. Many Sephardic Jews relocated to central America due to persecution. Our Rabbi was born in Panama.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Moshe, this is fascinating! I think I'm going to send for the materials. Thanks for posting this!

r.

• moshe
    moshe

Once you get your report back with the 12 marker Dna profile you can register with a Y-dna search database and look for matching cousins all over the world.

http://www.ysearch.org/

• anewme
    anewme

Excellent Moshe! Hurray for you! Are you happy with the results and reports you got?
    I too didnt realize it was so affordable to do! My husband was adopted and all records are sealed and he has lost all knowledge of his father and mother. He knows his mom was Norwegian and his father Scottish.
    But he has no knowledge of brothers or sisters or other real relatives.
    This would be a perfect Christmas present for him.

thanks for posting this!

Anewme

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Thanks for posting Moshe! I'm trying to get my mom interested in doing this as she can't trace her family tree on her mother's side at all. We can trace my father's ancestry back to the 1500's and basically know they were English. I have a strong suspicion that my mother has some Native American Indian...but I would like to know, and find any relatives on that side.

Swalker

• orbison11
    orbison11

well this is so cool,,,,do they say how many other participants they have to match with? from all over the world,,,,,

thank u,,i also am going to do it, 99 is not a lot, for me it is a bit, but i can save

wendy

• becca1
    becca1

Very cool Moshe! I've always wanted to be Jewish, all the angst and everything.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Moshe:

Bluesapphire- many ,many Spanish Jews were given a choice in 1492- either convert to Christianity or leave Spain and abandon their property. That is where the Sephardic Jews came from originally. Many Sephardic Jews relocated to central America due to persecution. Our Rabbi was born in Panama.

I never knew that. But my understanding is that SHE personally relocated during or prior to the Holocaust. I want to know more but do not know where to begin searching.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, everyone I am happy with the results. I can't wait to talk to my distant cousins.

About 83,000 Y Dna and 37,000 Mtdna ( mother's lineage) along with 57,000 surnames are in the familytreedna.com database. That is just this company - many other companies are testing now,too.

Many people do this testing just to locate unknown relatives- read one of the testimonials I found on their website---

Dear Bennett, First let me say that I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get this off to you. I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed by all of this.
    Because I was abandon at birth I went into this hoping only to find a clue to my nationality. Instead I not only found out that my ancestors were Hungarian Jews, but I found two distant cousins. First relatives I've ever known other than my children.
    This really is a very rewarding experience, well worth the wait and the cost.
    I look forward to working with you in the future as I plan to continue my search with the help of Family Tree DNA.

Thank You
    Happy Holidays
    Patricia Matthes

-------------------------------

If anyone is interested and think the cost is,too high (it used to be over $1,000) , then start a piggy bank and save your pocket change. I sold some unused stuff on ebay to pay for my tests.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit