Eighty or Ninety percent of Americans would not have supported World War II

by MsMcDucket 32 Replies latest social current

• zagor
    zagor
    So, my question is? What do you think now? And do you think we will look back on the Iraq situation and think differently?

That is an interesting question for sure but at the same time it oversimplifies the issue. WW2 was unavoidable, everyone (informed) knew it. To fight back had support of the entire civilized world at the time. It was to stop spread of rapidly increasing in power of evil empires and dangerous ideologies. It was to stop Holocaust of millions of people in concentration camps. If America hadn’t reacted there would have been not much of the world left if Hitler and Japanese of that time had their way. America would have been forced to finally succumb to it all because it would now have to trade and with both Nazis and Japanese to keep its own economy a float. Not to mention of course that Nazis had well in advance drawn plans to conquer U.S as well.

Do you see the comparison between that and Iraq situation? I don’t. What I see in Iraq is another Vietnam in making, nothing else.

• blondie
    blondie

My mother was a WW2 teenager. She remembers that the war seemed far away in other countries, until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Remember that WW2 had started in September 1939 and Pearl Harbor was over 2 years later in December 1941.

WW1 started in 1914 but the US did not enter until April 1917 basically because (never ever one reason)

Submarine Warfare and the Lusitania

• There were unauthorized German submarines along the US East coast. Germany's resumption of unrestricted submarine warfare in the spring of 1917 provided the final straw for US politicians, and America declared war.

My parents are in their 80's; how many people are still alive today that remember WW1 and 2? How many remember the Korean War and Vietnam?

Blondie (I can only remember the Vietnam War)

• troucul
    troucul

That teacher sounds like a tool. An ignorant fool. I have nothing but contempt for "brainiacs" who consider themselves experts on world affairs and public opinion who've never been to a foreign land, breathing anthrax infested dust, dirt, burning garbage, and in constant contact with a nation of people who've been decimated for generations in every respect. Whatever...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit