Resurrection: Jehovah or Jesus?

by betterdaze 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Who will resurrect of the dead: Jehovah or Jesus?

According to the Society? According to scripture?

~Sue

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

According to the WTS this is the exclusive domain of "Jehoover" god. This is what the "Aid" book, pg 1394 says: "For the One [note the capital O] with the ability and power to create man in His [note the capital H] own image, with a perfect body, it would be pose no insurmountable problem to resurrect an indivisual" On the same page the book adds: "Only through Jesus Christ can resurrection with everlasting life thereafter, be possible"

So, in summary the resurrection is done by Jehoover through Christ - according to the WTS

The Bible though, says differently.

1 It is true that the Scriptures teach that God carries this out: "We trust in God, who raises the dead" [2Cor 1:9] In the OT, affirmation is given of Yahweh who: "Brings down to Sheol, and who also raises up" [1Sam 2:6] It was a fundamental teaching of the early church that God raised Jesus [ Act 2:24, 3:15, 4:10, 5:30, 10:40, 5:30, 10:40, 13:30-34 etc..]

So we can safely say, as the WTS says, that God is the One who performs the resurrection The problem now is to define "God"......

2 Because the story does not end there. We are forced to confront other statements regarding this doctrine. Jesus very clearly stated: "Everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, I Myself will raise him up on the last day" [Note He does not say "Jehoover through me...."

He also said: "I Am the resurrection and the life" Christ doesn't simply perform it through the agency of someone else. He is the resurrection. It is His voice the dead will hear when they are reunited with their physical bodies [Jo 5:28,29]

Interestingly, the Bible definitely affirms that the person resurrected by God/Christ is exactly the same as the one who died. Yet the "Aid" book says on the same page quoted above: "The Creator will repattern the same personality in a newly formed body"

So in summary, the Bible's point of view appears to be a joint and equal partnership between the Father and the Son. There is no rivalry nor is there confusion.

Cheers

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Betterdaze

Who will resurrect of the dead: Jehovah or Jesus?

Jesus is Jehovah!

• abbagail
    abbagail

Well, Amen Deputy Dog. I was going to say the same thing.

Are you joking on that?

The Holy Spirit burdened me with a similar question for two weeks this summer, making my heart ache. Then at the exact right moment He provided the confirmation as to what I was thinking and longing for, ie, "Wouldn't it be great if Jesus WAS Jehovah??? That would mean that all thru my JW-years I actually KNEW Jesus intimately ALL ALONG, even when I thought I didn't, because I thought Jehovah was the Father and Jesus was the Son, and all we ever focused on as JWs was Jehovah Jehovah Jehovah..."

Anyway, all the sudden it was finally CLEAR:

JESUS IS ONE AND THE SAME PERSON as JEHOVAH of the OT! -- WHAT A THRILL! :-D

God the Father and God the Holy Spirit have always remained in the INVISIBLE REALM and both remain UNNAMED in Scripture.

It was GOD THE SON who STEPPED FORWARD out of the INVISIBLE REALM to DEAL WITH MANKIND FROM THE BEGINNING, and HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHOSE NAME(s) we are shown!

So JEHOVAH of the OT was JESUS ALL ALONG, but with his OT-NAME, YHWH, which means JEHOVAH IS SALVATION, which makes even MORE SENSE when you realize that JEHOVAH-is-SALVATION is really saying JESUS-is-SALVATION, which we all know is true anyway!

So God The Father is still God The Father, and maybe we will know HIS name when we get up there to heavenly glory. Ditto for God The Holy Spirit's personal name. But God The Son, YHWH of the OT -- whose CORRECT PRONUNCIATION HE ALLOWED TO DISAPPEAR OFF THE SCENE, btw -- we are to NOW KNOW as JESUS (some say Yah-shu-a, others say Yeh-shu-a). If we were to NOW correctly KNOW Jesus' OT-correct-pronunciation of YHWH, then why wasn't it included in Romans 10:13 where Paul wrote, All who call on the name of the Lord will be saved-? (He was quoting OT/Joel 2:32 scripture where LORD/YHWH was in the verse, but why didn't they carry it forward to the NT? Paul didn't, and If anybody would have known the correct-writing/pronunciation of YHWH, it surely would have been Paul-the-Legalist! -- My point is that Jesus wants us to call him by his KNOWN NAME, not his not-so-sure-way-of-writing/saying YHWH.

Scripture texts, lots of them in Joel and Zechariah, etc. that show Jesus is Jehovah of the OT (both are the same, ie, GOD THE SON), but when I first came to know this, the FIRST scripture that jumped in my head, and my favorite, is Zech. 14:4, which says that LORD/JEHOVAH (NWT) is the one WHOSE FEET WILL STAND ON THE MT. of OLIVES, and we KNOW that is JESUS who is coming back literally and IN PERSON during "the Day of the LORD" (Zech 14:1,5,9) and NOT JEHOVAH-as-God-the-Father who will put HIS feet on the Mt. of Olives.

Also Zech. 12:4-10 where it says the LORD/Jehovah (NWT) who "they will look upon me whom they have pierced" but we know that is JESUS and the Jews will look upon him who they pierced (Jesus, not God the Father) when he/Jesus returns IN PERSON to FIGHT FOR THEM (Zech 12:1-9) at the end of the Tribulation.

It makes SO MUCH SENSE because it was GOD THE SON/Jehovah/Jesus who came to die for us, so it makes awesome wondrous good sense to me that IT WAS HIM ALL ALONG who was dealing with mankind. He came at the beginning and he's been here ALL ALONG dealing with mankind DIRECTLY.

------------

OK, sorry about that, I got excited in a great way! ;-)

As for who will do the resurrecting, as Deputy Dog said, Jehovah/Jesus are one and the same, so it will be Jesus (formerly-known-as Jehovah ;-)

Blessings!
    /abbagail

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

John 1:1 In <en> the beginning <arche> was <en> the Word <logos>, and <kai> the Word <logos> was <en> with <pros> God <theos>, and <kai> the Word <logos> was <en> God <theos>.

3056. logos
    Search for G3056 in KJVSL

logoV logos log'-os

from 3004; something said (including the thought); by
    implication, a topic (subject of discourse), also
    reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension,
    a computation; specially, (with the article in John) the
    Divine Expression (i.e. Christ):--account, cause,
    communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to
    do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason,
    + reckon, remove, say(-ing), shew, X speaker, speech,
    talk, thing, + none of these things move me, tidings,
    treatise, utterance, word, work.

Jesus is all these things of God according to the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit