Baptism, spirit and superstition

by thinker 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thinker
    thinker

Recently I started researching the bible concerning that most controversial topic: Baptism. I learned from the bible that there are four types of baptism. There is water baptism, aka "John's baptism", which most of us think of when we hear the word "baptism". And there is earth baptism, being immersed in the earth and rising again, which Jesus refered to at Mark 10:38. And then there is fire baptism, which John spoke of (Matt 3:11) and which is also mentioned elsewhere in the bible (II Sam 12:31, Isa 43:2, I Cor 3:15). Then there is baptism by the holy spirit, also mentioned by John.

Water, Earth, Fire: these are three of the four primary elements of the Greek philosophy which started around 350 BC. The fourth element was Air, but the bible doesn't mention air baptism; it says spirit baptism. Maybe we should explore the meaning of the word "spirit" and see if there's a connection. "Spirit" comes from the Latin word for "to blow or to breathe", ie., air in motion. It has the same meaning in Hebrew and Greek as well. Just for fun look up the different translations of Ezekiel 37:9-10 sometime and you'll see that 'spirit', 'wind' and 'breath' were interchangeable ideas back then. Our current understanding of the word 'spirit' (without the connection to moving air) didn't start until about 1290 AD.

This idea of baptism being associated with the Greek philosophy of the four primary elements isn't something new:
    "That which the fathers taught, and which our mind has received and assented to, is as follows:--We recognize four elements, of which the world is composed, which every one knows even if their names are not spoken; but if it is well, for the sake of the more simple, to tell you their names, they are fire and air, earth and water. Now our God and Saviour, in fulfilling the Dispensation for our sakes, went beneath the fourth of these, the earth, that He might raise up life from thence. And we in receiving Baptism, in imitation of our Lord and Teacher and Guide, are not indeed buried in the earth (for this is the shelter of the body that is entirely dead, covering the infirmity and decay of our nature), but coming to the element akin to earth, to water, we conceal ourselves in that as the Saviour did in the earth" (GREGORY of NYSSA Date of birth unknown; died after 385 or 386)

So why was spirit associated with moving air? Maybe ancient people wondered what made the air move as wind and what made living things breathe air in and out. This mysterious thing was called "spirit" and was thought to be the force that moved the air. It was once thought that a sneeze was our spirit (ie breath) being forcefully expelled from our body. And since the air around us is filled with evil spirits (Satan being the "prince of the powers of the air"- Eph 2:2) it was necessary to ask God to send down His breath from heaven to fill that void inside us before the evil spirits got a chance to invade our body. We express this by saying "God bless you" whenever someone sneezes.

According to the bible then, holy spirit baptism was being baptised with 'God's breath'. You don't have to take my word for it, you can see for yourself at John 20:22 where Jesus performs a spirit baptism with his breath. And at Pentecost when the holy spirit came again (Acts 2:2) it began with a sound from heaven like a "rushing, mighty wind". Since our breath is the tool we use to speak with, it's only natural that the first sign of receiving God's breath (spirit) would be to speak in tongues. God's moving breath was using their vocal cords so naturally the language was different from their own (see Matt 10:20).

This idea of spirits being the force that moves air must have been very wide-spread. All over the globe you can find cultures that believed this. In China, Japan, Scandanavia, and North and South America there were ancient people who believed that spirits lived in beans. With our current understanding of the word 'spirit' we miss the connection to beans, but when you realize that spirit used to refer to moving air, then the connection becomes apparent. Eating beans caused 'air' to move in the posterior regions of humanity, hence they must contain spirits; ie. forces which cause air to move.

Maybe there'd be a whole lot less controversy about baptism if everyone took the time to figure out what the bible writers were really talking about. Baptism was an ancient pagan rite which was later influenced by Greek philosophy to include the four primary elements and it includes the idea that spirits move the air and make us breathe. One of the superstitions about spirits was that they could not cross water. Matthew 12:43 " Now when the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and does not find it." This is why the pigs that were inhabited by spirits drowned in the water at Matt 8:32. Pigs are normally really good swimmers. Maybe that's why baptism today still uses the element of water. It keeps those nasty spirits away.

thinker

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thinker,

I read your post yesterday, enjoyed it and thought about it several times since...

At an exegetical level -- at least if understood, classically, as the search for the authors' conscious intended meaning -- I would disagree with some of it, but stepping back to a more global perception of symbolism and its unconscious (yet cultural) echoes your post is illuminating.

Immersion as identification of the subject to whatever is, however construed (which depends of a cultural analysis of reality, such as the four elements for the Ancients), and (re-)surrection from it beyond identity, seems indeed to be the point from this perspective.

That thou art.

Wo Es war, soll Ich werden.

• thinker
    thinker

Hi Narkissos,

At an exegetical level -- at least if understood, classically, as the search for the authors' conscious intended meaning -- I would disagree with some of it,

I think the classical method of understanding the meaning of 'spirit' imposes our current understanding of the word on an ancient people and mises what they thought it was. To me, the ancient understanding of the word is superstitious belief.

More importantly, JWs have an understanding of 'spirit' which is very similar to the ancients. They see it as an "impersonal force". They see the connection to breath in the creation of Adam. They know that saying "God bless you" after a sneeze is superstion, etc... It is just a small step to connecting spirit to moving air and showing them the superstitious nature of that concept. I'm currently working on a complete list of superstions in the bible that will tie in with this idea.

Take care,

thinker

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Isn't the very concept of superstition an anachronistic one, too?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

thinker....You should look into the literature on cherubim (Babylonian kurabu) in ANE mythology. They were believed to be the winds themselves (cf. Psalms 18:10), and they were depicted as guardians to temples (cf. those guarding the entrance to the Garden of Eden in Genesis 3).

One of the superstitions about spirits was that they could not cross water. Matthew 12:43 " Now when the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and does not find it." This is why the pigs that were inhabited by spirits drowned in the water at Matt 8:32. Pigs are normally really good swimmers. Maybe that's why baptism today still uses the element of water. It keeps those nasty spirits away.

I think there is one other thing that first-century AD Jews believed about evil spirits that is especially important here....the evil spirits originally belonged to the Nephilim, who were part divine and thus immortal, and when the Nephilim drowned in the Flood, the spirits left their dying bodies and were fated to wander the earth ever since (cf. 1 Enoch 15:6-9, 19:1, 89:6, 99:7, Jubilees 7:20-28, 10:1-2, Justin Martyr, 2 Apology 5.2, Athenagorus, Plea 6.3.2, Minucius Felix, Octavian 26, Tertullian, De Idololatria 4, Lactantius, Divine Institutes 2.15, Commodianus, Instructiones 3, Pseudo-Clementines, Homily 8.10-20). That is why they keep seeking new bodies to enter, because they have lost their original bodies. It is thus very striking that when the unclean spirits inhabit the pigs (an appropriately unclean creature), they drown themselves -- doomed to repeat the same fate.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

See also the Acts of Thomas, 32, in which Satan declares: "I am the one who cast the angels down from above and bound them fast in their desire for the women, so that earth-born children might be born of them and I might work my will in them," i.e. the demons who continue to work evil. The myth in the Pseudo-Clementines may be of some interest to you:

"But from their unhallowed intercourse [between human women and angels] spurious men sprang, much greater in stature than ordinary men, whom they afterwards called giants ... they were greater than men in size, inasmuch as they were sprung of angels; yet less than angels, as they were born of women... But they, on account of their bastard nature, not being pleased with purity of food, longed only after the taste of blood. Wherefore they first tasted flesh. And the men who were with them there for the first time were eager to do the like... But by the shedding of much blood, the pure air being defiled with impure vapor, and sickening those who breathed it, rendered them liable to diseases, so that thenceforth men flied prematurely. But the earth being by these means greatly defiled, these first teemed with poison-darting and deadly creatures... God wished to cast them away like an evil leaven, lest each generation from a wicked seed, being like to that before it, and equally impious, should empty the world to come of saved men. And for this purpose, having warned a certain righteous man, with his three sons, together with their wives and their children, to save themselves in an ark, He sent a deluge of water, that all being destroyed, the purified world might be handed over to him who was saved in the ark, in order to a second beginning of life. And thus it came to pass... Since, therefore, the souls of the deceased giants were greater than human souls, inasmuch as they also excelled their bodies, they, as being a new race, were called also by a new name. And to those who survived in the world a law was prescribed of God through an angel, how they should live. For being bastards in race, of the fire of angels and the blood of women, and therefore liable to desire a certain race of their own, they were anticipated by a certain righteous law. For a certain angel was sent to them by God, declaring to them His will, and saying: -- 'These things seem good to the all-seeing God, that you lord it over no man; that you trouble no one, unless any one of his own accord subject himself to you, worshipping you, and sacrificing and pouring libations, and partaking of your table, or accomplishing nothing else that they ought not...' Having charged them to this effect, the angel departed. But you are still ignorant of this law, that every one who worships demons, or sacrifices to them, or partakes with them of their table, shall become subject to them and receive all punishment from them, as being under wicked lords.... But you should know that the demons have no power over any one, unless first he be their table-companion" (Homilies, 8.15-20).
  • Terry
    Terry

Recently my 13 year old daughter and I went to the local Father/Daughter camp out at Camp Carter in Fort Worth.

We do this twice a year. It is an "indian princess" sort of cabal for the young ladies with the usual fun and nonsense.

They are the Caddo tribe. You get the idea.

Anyway...I mention this to say this.

There is always a late night gathering of all the tribes at these campouts. A few "spirit father" words are spoken and a giant bonfire is lit and people get up to perform.

This time was different.

One of the other larger tribes got their turn at the bonfire area and the rest of us had a much smaller area.

Instead, we had a Father/Daughter bonding ritual.

It is because of having experienced this ritual I now speak.

This was a Corn ritual. Two grains of corn are given to each daughter and two grains of corn are given to each father.

Words of pledging one's devotion, honesty and honor are spoken and a grain of corn is given from daughter to father. Then, the fathers make their solemn pledges to their daughters.

While doing this something rather overwhelming got to me. IT WAS THE RITUAL!! There is something incredibly powerful in a solemn ritual with a group of like-minded people around listening and participating!

It was a kind of quasi-religious experience for me and I teared up.

We exchanged these grains of corn and hugged each other having pledged our love and caring and I was exhilarated to have participated.

Why?

In everyday life we don't take the time to risk being serious, solemn and utterly truthful if we might be laughed at or shrugged off. So, we stifle it or hide it inside.

But, a RITUAL allows us the genuine flow to be totally free of inhibitions of embarassment. You can speak from the heart by firelight as your best friends listen to you say the deepest values from your soul to the person who loves you most.

It is the RITUALS of life that put us in touch with TRANSCENDANCE. In this case, each of us transcended our shyness, our feelings of being goofy or oversentimental, etc.

We were freed up to be compeltely and profoundly real.

I think rituals such as BAPTISM liberate us in the same way to speak our heart and open ourselves up to the deepest values we hold dear while others witness and validate our actions.

Never underestimate the power of being given permission (through ritual) to be real, open, honest and sincere.

It is what transcendance is all about.

• Morocco
    Morocco

Great topic. Brilliantly put.

• thinker
    thinker

If I'm right that God's spirit (Holy Spirit) is really God's breath, then the implications for JW doctrine and bible interpretation are very bad. I recently had an active JW admit that God's spirit WAS His breath; then he stopped the discussion very quickly. Perhaps he realized that God's breath animated Adam and was passed on to all mankind. This would mean that we ALL have God's holy spirit. What does this say about the distinction between the anointed the the great crowd? In researching this I looked the WT descriptions of the holy spirit and compared them to the "life force" (spirit). The terms and descriptions are nearly identical. We all have the HS because we all breathe!

And if the HS is God's breath what does that say about Jesus at John 20:22 when he imparts the HS with his own breath? Gods breath = Jesus breath? Jesus = God?

And if the GB are supposedly led by God's breath????

thinker

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Thanks, Terry. You showed us a beautiful warmth and life of it, that otherwise may have been missed.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit