Need Advice From Medical people on Seniors

by Apostate Kate 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Mulan- I can't believe an aid was even giving meds! That is so wrong. I don't even think that is legal in California, I have seen what you mean about them being treated like children.

I know. It is legal in Washington. One of my nieces is a CNA in Reno, and she said it isn't legal there either. I asked the State about it and they said it is classified as a "private home" so the aides can dispense meds in bubble packs only.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Here is what I have so far on "you must not" section. If you have any ideas to add I'd appreciate it. I'm working with my RN friend too but many minds working together are better than two.

To get started here is some information you need to know; and must agree to abide by to serve in this ministry;

1. Ask the nurse in charge if patient can be moved from one room to another. .

2. Ask the nurse in charge before giving any food or water to any patient. Some patients are on restrictive food and liquids.

3. You must always have written permission to take patient off premises. You will make a request to the Social Worker.

4. Do not give manicures to any patient without permission from the nurse in charge.

5. Do not give baths to any patient at any time.

6. If you suspect abuse it must be reported to the authorities. [any advice to elaborate here?]

7. If you are sick, do not visit. Call the center and ask for a message to be given to Senior that you are ill and do not want to risk spreading it. Have someone drop off a card at the front desk for you if possible

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Please add to this list if you think of anything;

Situations You May encounter

Your adopted Senior may not recognize you. Do not be alarmed, gently remind them who you are and how much you care about them. Remind them you are there to visit because you care.

They may think you are someone else such as their son or daughter.

They may cry without being able to express why. Comfort them, pray for them and with them.

You may observe abrasive language on the part of the care givers, all the more reasons for you to be committed to regular visits.

You may find that Seniors are often treated as children by care givers. Do not follow their example but treat your adopted Senior with dignity at all times. Treat them gently with love and compassion.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I just found out that my dear friend who is in the hospital on a ventilator will be taken off of it on Sunday. They have tried to wean her off but she crashes so she is not expected to live. I've been going to see her daily, talking and joking with her though she is heavily sedated she can hear you. She is on a feeding tube and has several lines in.

I'm so sad. I'm not ready to say good-bye. I have a presentation to do on Sunday to the church about the Adopt a Senior Program.

Wish Sunday would never come...

• exwitless
    exwitless
    6. If you suspect abuse it must be reported to the authorities. [any advice to elaborate here?]

ApostateKate - In response to this, I would say be careful about giving this advice. Saying you "must" report it sounds like they are under legal obligation to do so, when they most likely are not equipped to make that judgement. While there can be unmistakable cases of abuse (such as witnessing someone hitting a patient), there are some things that might look alarming to a volunteer that are not abuse. For example, some patients need to be physically restrained so they can't pull out their I.V.s, which means their wrists would be tied down to the bed rail with medical restraints.

At a nursing home I worked at, there was a student nurse who was working with a bedridden patient for ONE day; this patient had a pretty bad bed sore. The staff nurses were doing the prescribed dressing changes twice a day, turning the patient every 1 1/2 hours, etc., everything they could do to get it healed up. The student nurse failed to realize that this patient had other severe health problems which made her very suceptible to bed sores (diabetic, very thin, bedridden, poor circulation). However the student nurse became upset about this bedsore and determined in her mind that the patient was being neglected. She said nothing to us (the staff nurses), nothing to her clinical instructor who was always on-site; instead she went home and called the state board of health. The state did have to come investigate to follow protocol, and found that the patient was not being neglected and that the staff was doing everything they could and should do for this patient.

My point is, you might set up a protocol for volunteers to be able to appropriately discuss things of concern. Be aware of patient privacy laws as well-volunteers should not reveal information about patients to outside sources. If the volunteer is working in a nursing home, you might set up a chain of communication for them so they know who they can and should speak with if they are concerned about something. The first stop should be the nurse in charge of caring for the patient, or the head nurse on the unit.

Hope this helps!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit