My son is off to school!

by Momofmany 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

I knew this is the one place that would so understand how freeing this is for, not only me, but all of us here. My first born has left for school. He's going to UTI in North Carolina. I am letting him get a "higher education". Yes, I fought with my mom over this, but this is my decision. I am proud that he was able to go at age 17. (he turned 17 two weeks before he left) I feel that doing the paper work, and running around because I needed this or that, was a very liberating feeling for me.

I know that the folks who live around us, really have no idea about what a big deal this is. He is the first one ever in our family to get more than a high school diploma. I am proud of him, happy for him. So I came here, wanting to celebrate with those who know that this isn't just him going away to school. It's living in the here and now, which we used to not do. Not waiting for some day to come, and save us from our poor planning. It is seizing the day, making our lives better, it is living our life the way we want.

I just wanted to share. I feel giddy for him, and for me.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Congratulations! What wonderful news. You must be SO proud. Happy you broke free, and freed your son.

Shelly

• choosing life
    choosing life

Congratulations. You should be very proud. Your support means so much to him, I am sure. My daughter is in her third year of college and planning a master's degree. I am so happy that we always stressed a college education no matter which way the wind was blowing in the society.

They go back and forth on the issue. Really, a college education is what a high school degree used to be. Kids need it to earn a living wage and the university really teaches them a lot about society ,culture and critical thinking skills. Probably why the dubs shy away from it.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Congradulations, Momofmany

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I'm am so proud of him AND you. This will make a big difference in his education. I started late with my college (35 years old) but it's been a blessing. I feel CL is right because my first year that I'm in now has been nothing but society, culture, critical thinking and history in religion. This can be a "danger" for JW's because they would be learning how to think in a critical way.

CONGRATULATIONS to you and your son!

~Froggy~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit