What about the Transfiguration?

by lovelylil 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

It is so true that there are so many things we can get from the transfiguration vision. It confirms that Christ was the Messiah, that he would be in raised to heavenly glory, that he fulfilled all the Laws and prophets, that he is in the kingdom with Moses and Elijah (disproving the WT view that they will not be in heaven), that the old covenant was made obsolete and the new one began. And we can go on and on with many views of this.

I wrote my article for a strictly new to the bible forum. So I am glad we put this up for discussion here. Its nice to see all the varying thoughts on this. Thanks all for your comments. Lilly

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Star,

I agree that Moses and Elijah represent themselves as people AND for what they were known for. Moses - the Law giver and Elijah - represents the prophets. I know the WT says they will not be in the heavenly kingdom and are only in the vision to represent what they stood for, but I disagree. I don't see why they had to be alive when Christ came to be included in the kingdom when they already put faith in his coming long before his first advent. All the Laws pointed to the Messiah and all the prophets pointed to him. And the OT partriarchs accepted the coming Messiah in their hearts long before his actual arrival. Just because they did not live to "see" him in the flesh should not preclude them from being included in the heavenly kingdom. And Jesus himself clearly indicated that the men of old would be included:

Matthew 8:11
    I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven

Also, the Old Testament believers were under a covenant with God (Jehovah). The New convenant in which Christians are sealed with Holy Spirit came after the closing of the first covenant. Which I believed the transfiguration was also depicting. (the end of the old convenant) The WT says the old convenant was only to give the natural Jews land on earth and not a heavenly reward. The Jewish nation promise for the land was already fulfilled. And Moses said they would also be made a "kingdom of priests" to God, not only receivers of promised land. (Exodus 19:5,6)

Leolaia,

I missed that information about Elijah you posted yesterday so thanks for posting it here. It is very interesting indeed and fits in nicely with this topic.

Narkissos,

Thank you for breaking down the tranfiguration from each view of the different bible writers. Lilly

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

I choose to believe the Bible about this. Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus and discussed coming events. No fakery from God.....they were there with Jesus.

The event proves life after death.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Interesting older topic, one that many current JW's would not think of but it is a deep subject. Life after death, being able to "bring" up two faithful men who died thousands of years previously, to be and speak with Jesus!

Third heaven? Nothing like that is mentioned in WT studies today, no questions allowed to be asked anymore, just answer the question as noted in a paragraph- where is thinking going on?

1) three men speaking of things either going to happen to Jesus, as Leolai said so eloquently -- his death.

2) Why bring them "back" to discuss what was already prophesied in scripture?

3) Three men witnessed the "vision" as it was called- you only need two witnesses for anything in bible

4) Did this have anything to do with the law and the prophets- which changed with Jesus? Why would that be an issue that would have to be "seen" by the three watching from a distance- since they asked Jesus to build three tents?

5) And if, as the last comment says- Life after death

Side note- where are you Leolai? Always loved your insights and comments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit