Over 96% Accept 99%!

by Marvin Shilmer 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Today i added a new article to my blog that shares a bit of astounding evidence of just how ridiculous it is for a JW to tell anyone anywhere that JWs abstain from transfusion of blood, and plasma in particular.

This article is based on two studies authored by medical staff at Duke University's Center for Blood Conservation, a program that is heavily touted by the active "noblood" crowd among JWs. One of these studies contains a real whopper of a piece of information!

The article is titled: Over 96% Accept 99%!

• whathappened
    whathappened
    WOW...thanks for sharing. This is useful information!
  • Garrett
    Garrett
    That's very interesting, thanks for haring :)
  • kairos
    kairos

I will read the article later, but I just wanted to add something from my personal experience.

In a chance encounter, I ended up visiting with one of the leading medical advocates for bloddless surgery in California's SF Bay Area. They actually had billboards advertising the medical center on the main route to the Cow Palace, where JW conventions have been held for decades.

I recently spoke to him again and told him I had left. He was happy about that.

I asked him about blood. "When was the last time whole blood was administered"? He told me WWII era. ( wow ). Whole blood is never given anymore.

Then I asked if the only treatments given are "fractions"? He said yes.

So, bottom line, JWs "abstain from blood", but somehow firm up their consciences to allow them to accept the most up to date methods of transfusions to preserve life while accepting someone else's blood. Hypocrisy?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I read whole blood is only given when the hospital is out of the type of blood needed and can't get any soon enough and there's no hemopure available. Then they will ask nurses or family members to donate blood which they will use in its whole form. But this a rare case.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    Thank you. Very interesting. Just skimmed the material. Will read closely when get home.
  • 88JM
    88JM
    Isn't blood plasma 95% water? (by volume) Or are these percentages without the water?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"Isn't blood plasma 95% water? (by volume) Or are these percentages without the water?"

The percentages presented in my article represent the total volume of what is found in a typical bag of fresh frozen plasma. This of course includes the important constituent of water.

Our body is composed mostly of water. I've read estimates that whole blood is composed of 80 to 95 percent water.

Just like cellular structures (which also have water as a primary constituent) are suspended in the liquid plasma component of blood, so are clotting factors and various proteins and salts suspended in water making the liquid plasma.

When I hear someone say something like "Plasma is mostly just water" it is often said to minimize what plasma is as a biological substance. I'm not suggesting that's the case here. It's just an observation I'm sharing based on experience.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13
    Great article...thanks for posting.
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    Thanks for the reference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit