The Study of Light

by Apostate Kate 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Recently I did some research on "light". It fascinated me that there are several Greek words used but merely the one in English.

jwV phos foce from an obsolete phao (to shine or make manifest, especially by rays; compare 5316, 5346); luminousness (in the widest application, natural or artificial, abstract or concrete, literal or figurative):--fire, light.
    Matthew 4:16-17 The people who sat in darkness saw a great light, To those who sat in the region and shadow of death, To them light has dawned." From that time, Jesus began to preach, and to say, "Repent! For the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

kaiw kaio kah'-yoapparently a primary verb; to set on fire, i.e. kindle or
    (by implication) consume:--burn, light.
    Matthew 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

lucnoV luchnos lookh'-nos a portable lamp or other illuminator (literally or figuratively):--candle, light.Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

elajroV elaphros el-af-ros'; light, i.e. easy:--light. Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

amalew ameleo am-el-eh'-o; to be careless of:--make light of, neglect, be negligent, no regard.Matthew 22:5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

jeggoV pheggos feng'-gos probably akin to the base of 5457 (compare 5350); brilliancy:--light.
    Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

epijainw epiphaino ep-ee-fah'-ee-no; to shine upon, i.e. become (literally) visible or (figuratively) known:--appear, give light.Luke 1:79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

apokaluqiV apokalupsis ap-ok-al'-oop-sis ; disclosure:--appearing, coming, lighten, manifestation, be revealed, revelation Luke 2:32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. This is as close as I can find to "new light" and this light is the revelation of Jesus to the world.

jwteinoV photeinos fo-ti-nos ; lustrous, i.e. transparent or well-illuminated (figuratively):--bright, full of light.Luke 11:36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

John 1:4-5 In him was life; and the life was the light (phos)of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

So where do the Bethel boys get "new light" from?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

There is no new light, the Bible says that the scriptures bears prophecy and we all have to wait, even the angels anxiously peer into the scriptures to see the fulfillment of them. Saying we are waiting for new light, or the light is getting brighter is a nice safety net that those who change their policies, laws, and other requirments, (YOU SEE, THEIR POLICIES AND LAWS, THE BIBLE SAYS GOD AND CHRIST NEVER CHANGE, RATHER LET YOUR YES MEAN YES AND YOUR NO, NO, ANYTHING IN EXCESS OF THESE IS FROM THE WICKED ONE) and say they are absolutely right and at the same time have put in place for themselves safefy nets to ensure their place in the eyes of others. Couldn't all religions just simply say the same thing, that we are recieving new light but that at the same time, say "no one is at the same pace or spiritual level of others but God will simply understand"? The whole problem comes in when a organization or religion or cong, says that they have absolute truth and there is no one to check their hand. A real lack of humility and other Godly qualities missing. It would be much better to follow our Lord and Master, other Bible writers and apostles who never spoke with a condensending view of others or arrogance, but rather knew their limitations and allowed God to show his approval of others, allow God to make the judgement of others, allow God to choose his people, allow God to be the ulitmate spokesman on all matters. I believe the apostle Paul put it best when he said at 1 COR 4:2-5 2 Besides, in this case, what is looked for in stewards is for a man to be found faithful. 3 Now to me it is a very trivial matter that I should be examined by YOU or by a human tribunal. Even I do not examine myself. 4 For I am not conscious of anything against myself. Yet by this I am not proved righteous, but he that examines me is Jehovah. 5 Hence do not judge anything before the due time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring the secret things of darkness to light and make the counsels of the hearts manifest, and then each one will have his praise come to him from God.

Or as the the Living Translation puts it----- 2 Now, a person who is put in charge as a manager must be faithful. 3 As for me, it matters very little how I might be evaluated by you or by any human authority. I don’t even trust my own judgment on this point. 4 My conscience is clear, but that doesn’t prove I’m right. It is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide.

It really matters little how we think on a matter, it will all come down to God and His appointed and anointed Son, I strongly feel after being out of JW's for about 6 years and reading the Bible on my own very seriously that no one has it all right and we all probably have a lot wrong and that we are all going to be surprised by what God has in store that we just can't figure it out. The important things are humilty, love of God and fellow man with many other Godly qualities as a part of our lives and wait and see just how wrong we really are but to keep trying with all our might based on Scriptures and not man made thinking or laws.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi Kate,

I liked the information on Light and want to add some more "light" stuff. I read this is a magazine a friend of mine prints called The Bible Today.

There are 4 types of Lights compared to Christians. They are:

1. Candle light - faint light, slightest wind flickers flame, blows out easily, not much light, dim, etc.
    Some Christians are like this--easily discouraged, light flickers with the slightest trial, dim.

2. Kerosine Lamp (Coal Oil) - old chimney smokes up easily, more light than a candle, but clouds, dims rapidly, etc. - Some Christians are like this - a little brighter, but does not take much to cloud their reflection. Their lives are dulled with the world around them.

3. Gasoline (coleman) lantern - bright and clear, for a while, but must be pumped up regularly, will go out if someone does not watch it constantly. Some Christians are like this - bright and active for a while, but they must be constantly encouraged, helped along, never seem to mature

4. Electric Light - constant, instant, bright, dependable. Some Christians are like this - dependable, radiant, forceful influence upon those around them

Enjoy! Lilly

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Welcome to the forum Avid! Thank you for your post, very thoughtful and from what I read so far I do agree. It takes me awhile to read and understand posts that are many lines together. It is an ADD thing.

Lilly those are great examples of light. I want to be the electric one!

I have a dear friend whose light is dimming and she is not expected to live past next week. I am going to say good-bye tomorrow. I'm soooooooo not ready...I called her "The Saint Who Prays For Animals" because when she prayed I had miracles for my animals.

One was a terribly injured leg on one of our horses, she is 23 and had cast her leg under a fence and hurt it so bad I wasn't sure she was going to make it. After I called my friend the next morning as God is my witness this horses swollen leg was healed...

She prayed for our lost 15 year old deaf nearly blind dog who got lost in the city while he was with my son. She prayed and a few hours later he was found. He had been missing for 3 days.

Who will pray for my animals now...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hi apostate kate,

where do the bethel boys get their new light from?

not from photeinos, that's for sure.

thanks for the research. cool stuff. :)

tetra

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Recently I did some research on "light". So did I - Did you know it is made up of photons and yet behaves as a wave.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Recently I did some research on "light". So did I - Did you know it is made up of photons and yet behaves as a wave.

Everything about light is fascinating. I was watching a documentary about light and though the technical stuff is over my head, I could understand that light is amazing.

I don't even know exactly what a photon is.

I don't know how to make the yellow highlight stop...lol

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

hi apostate kate,

where do the bethel boys get their new light from?

not from photeinos, that's for sure.

thanks for the research. cool stuff. :)

tetra

Thank you! Hope you had a good day tetra. I know you have a scientific mind too. It is interesting how much "light" is used in the New Testament. I guess "photons" came from the Greek root word for light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit