A couple of weeks ago

by I.Wonder 4 Replies latest jw friends

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

A brother gave a talk (I don't remember what it was called). He asked the audience what they would do to prove to someone that the Bible is Gods word. The brother who gave the talk said that we would likely want to direct the individual to various bible prophecies because they give us proof that the Bible is inspired of God.

I was wondering what your opinions were on this subject. I mean does Bible prophecy prove any thing at all about the Bible? Is Bible prophecy real? If a witness came to your door and tried to tell you that Bible prophecy is proof that it really is Gods words how would you counter their statement?

I.Wonder

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

heh, hey i.wonder!

my mom brought this up with me the other day, exactly.

i replied kindly that if one reads the so-called prohecies without desiring them to be right, but neutrally, you will find that the language used is such that the prophecies could be applied to any event, and pretty much any time. i then invited her to show me a prophecy from the bible, and why it is specific to right now, and her own cherished belief system. she declined. but i am confident, that if a jw ever came to my door, i would be able to demonstrate this without any problem at all. if they let me talk, that is.

and, it's not that i don't think they are prophecies. i just don't think they are prophecies from god. and i think once you understand that they come from men, you can disect any of them easily.

fortunetelling is the same. the noted skeptics, james randi and michael shermer (not to mention houdini!), demonstrate for audiences all the time how fortunetelling works. and let me tell you, it's all natural.

peace,

tetra

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello I.Wonder I dont put much faith in bible prophecy. Its all subject to interpretaion and written or published after the fact. One time I studied the prophecies that pointed to jesus as the messiah, my conclusion was I was very dissapointed and my belief in the scriptures was adversely affected. I think many go on blind faith and dont take the time to study or look into the facts of the matter.

if a witness came to your door and tried to tell you that Bible prophecy is proof that it really is Gods words how would you counter their statement?

I would say I cant believe that you have read the bible cover to cover and that you have studied it and came to that conclusion, I would say I think you are repeating somebody elses opinion who has an agenda.

Henry Ford said thinking is the hardest thing for people to do. The Jw's refer to themselves as sheep which are considered one of the stupidest of animals?

I've been away from the org 23 years. During that time I have read the bible cover to cover 5 times I have made notes researched them on the net. After all that I find the bible to be vauge and ambiguous it seems to be everything that the bible propents claim it is not. It seems like a bunch of people who did not know each other wrote a lot of conflicting information.A small portion of this conflictinting information was grouped together under the supervision or administration of Constatine to unite his empire of pagans and christians in a time where they did not have computers and the masses did not have access and the ability or probably even the time to critically anylize the information.

My lifes mission is not to have everyone think as I. If someone wants to burn their daylight knocking on doors bothering their neighbors in this day and age, the information age with all the information on the internet exposing the errors of the bible all the while belonging to a fringe group of society, I guess the most I will do is post my dissagreement here for them to read at their leisure.

I know I have not specifically answered your question regarding bible prophecy I would tell a witness or any other fundamentalist christian to google the subject and study it at your leisure. I dont think there is a magic word or phrase to enlighten somebody. Each person has to work out his own way. Each person is responsible for what he lets into his mind, for what he lets control or direct his life.

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Excellent!! Thanks so much guys for your input. I have never really felt that so called bible prophecy was proof that the Bible is the word of God. I could never really believe that these prophecies would have two fullfillments (in bible times, and in our day). It is just as tetra said "you will find that the language used is such that the prophecies could be applied to any event, and pretty much any time."

jaguarbass said:

"I dont think there is a magic word or phrase to enlighten somebody. Each person has to work out his own way. Each person is responsible for what he lets into his mind, for what he lets control or direct his life. "

Well said!!

Thanks Again,

I.Wonder

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

"I mean does Bible prophecy prove any thing at all about the Bible? Is Bible prophecy real? If a witness came to your door and tried to tell you that Bible prophecy is proof that it really is Gods words how would you counter their statement?"

I have to say that if a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS were to come to my door tomorrow and start talking to me in any authoritive manner about prophecy, I'd be unable to contain myself and would probably collapse into giggles.

Bible Prophecy and WatchTower Prophecy are two divergent things in my mind. They don't "interpret prophetic scripture" they corrupt any text to suit their own ends.

If anyone were unfamiliar with the faith, and a Witness were to lay out the "prophecy" of the Watchtower in the only way possible: a series of confusing, disjointed, nonsensical circular dispensations with the fantastical invisible Jesus and somehow the fall of Nebuchadnezzar being related to it. The invisible albeit studious Jesus needing three years to choose the "right religion," and the parable of a faithful and discreet slaves being injected with a potent exclusivity serum that they bounce around on and which doesn't even sound inspiring. Wow, discreet, that's really, marvelous.

If the WATCHTOWER SOCIETY, BEING THE PROPHETIC ORGANIZATION THAT THEY ARE, TRULY HAD THE STRANGLEHOLD ON CORRECT INTERPRETATION OF SCRIPTURE, THAN THAT WOULD BE ABSOLUTE, IRREFUTABLE AND CONCLUSIVE PROOF OF THE

BIBLES

UTTER
    AND
    ABSOLUTE

ERRANCY

THROUGH AND THROUGH.

NOT PROOF OF ITS "CORRECTNESS"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit