Witness Books NOT published by the Society?

by Priest73 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Priest73
    Priest73

I stumbled accross this website today. http://www.theocraticlibrary.com/ It calls about a bunch of authors as witnesses?!?! Crazy. Thoughts?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I got most of those books!

• Priest73
    Priest73

I'll ask Santa for them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Forget Santa...

Some of those books are very scarce... even Satan himself could not deliver some of Firpo Carr's books!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah I saw that website a few years ago. It's like an Amazon Listomania for JWs.

The Three Worlds reproduction might be worth getting. I had to giggle when I saw that the New World Translation has a festschrift titled "Your Word is Truth: Essays in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the New World Translation":

The essays are written by "individual Jehovah's Witnesses from the U.K., U.S.A. and Norway"....oh I would have to guess that Furuli has a piece in there. Also interesting that there is an essay on "Stake versus Cross": of course, that would be of natural interest to me. But looks like I am not going to see it anytime soon...the lowest listed price for this volume is an outrageous $77.42. I might as well spend that money buying a nice scholarly volume from Brill or Sheffield or T & T Clark, or Fortress Press.

Also buyer beware concerning the New Simplified Bible translation. I think this is the amateur JW translation I saw on a website that had a dreadful translation methodology.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

slimboyfat....Do you have Your Word is Truth? I'd like a scan of the Stake vs. Cross article.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

"Your Word is Truth: Essays in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the New World Translation"

So, JWs can now celebrate the birthdays of BOOKS, but not the birthdays of PEOPLE! Hmmm!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Leolaia - you can buy that book direct from Golden Age books. They don't have any left in stock now, but plan to have some more printed in the new year.

Quite cheap - £15 (around $28?). I have a copy for sale immediately at £30 if anyone is interested.

http://www.goldenagebooks.co.uk/ViewProduct.asp?productID=43

The article by Furuli is on the waw-consecutive and is actually quite good. The article on the stake is quite poor and is written by two Danish Witnesses. (I heard that they have both since become semi-apostate, by the way)

Edgar Foster has a good article on the Parousia.

Nelson Herle makes a comeback (after a few years silence on the apologetic front) with an article on Prov 8:22.

Flemings and Byatt themselves (the editors) write a few articles on various subjects that are quite poor.

Greg Stafford wrote a contribution for the volume but controversially pulled out at the last minute because of issues involving his questioning of certain Witness teachings.

Slim

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Leolaia,

I don't have a scanner, but I'll go to the library and see if I can scan it and post it there on Monday...

Slim

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I like how they describe Penton as a Witness by the way.

Well I guess he was a Witness when he wrote the book.

(Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada, that is)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit