Sometimes living in a small town has it's perks ......

by troubled mind 18 Replies latest jw friends

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I live in Nashville. Living in large towns is not for me. So Monday I leave for the USVI to see if I will like it there better. There are only 70,000 people on ST Thomas.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I tend to like either very large cities or very small towns, but mid size towns I dont like. Mid size towns are too big to be friendly but not big enough to have the variety of cultures and businesses available. My family live in a county in Kentucky with only 24,000 people, the county seat is 5000 people, the small community they live in has 600 people, and everybody knows everybody there. When there is a death in the neighborhood, the neighbors all get together and bring food to the family's house. Everybody know the names of all the stray dogs, and they all listen to police scanners and know when someone has been in an accident or an ambulance transports someone to the hospital. Whenever some major news breaks in on the scanner, the phone lines in that county go haywire. I miss the small town life, but I still long to live in a major city like Dallas. Dave

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I grew up in a small town and I it did have its benefits but as a whole I could not stand it. There was not a lot to do expect hang out at Wal-Mart or go bowling. That was about it. There was a pool hall but no respectable person hung out there because of drugs and a lot of fighting.

I live in a big city now and I love it. I just hop on the interstate and I can be anywhere in minutes, Lots of different people and cultures. I could not imagine living in a small town again.

• bebu
    bebu

I miss living in a small town. My town is about 50,000 now, and it's okay.

When we lived in a town of 1200, everyone knew my husband, who worked at the only family clinic. My husband would enjoy slower days in the office, and get to know the patients. There was time for him to shoot the breeze about fishing, hunting, and get an earful of advice from the locals. He misses that.

When people asked me my name, they always seemed to recognize it. Very weird! Of course, I think it was that more folks knew my husband.

I didn't have any problems there. We connected with some other young couples with kids who were away from family, and we always had a blast together. They were great people, great times...

I'm happy where I am now. But if I had to move, I'd choose a small town.

bebu

• parakeet
    parakeet

"And right now my neighbor is plowing the 9 inches of snow off our sidewalks w/o us even asking."

I have neighbors like that too! As soon as I see our neighbor clearing the snow in our driveway, I immediately crank up my bread machine. A few hours later, I say thanks by presenting them with a warm loaf of homemade bread. Neighbors like that are priceless.

I've lived in small towns since birth and wouldn't live in a large city for any amount of money. And as for not having accessibility to city shops, as long as I have a good Internet connection and UPS delivery, the whole world is my shopping mall, and anything I choose to buy is delivered right to my door.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Honesty, is that REALLY your still? I live in a small town (Murphy, TX -- catch it on Dateline one of these days, as they took part in a Perverted Justice sting last month) and I love it. I know everyone on our cul-de-sac. If Jackson forgets his key, he just goes home with his friend down the street. If Moose the basset hound gets out, everyone in the neighborhood knows whose dog he is and they bring him back. (Okay, so the new neighbors put him in the wrong yard last spring -- they know better now!) We know the policemen and the pharmacists by their first names. There's a rabbit in every yard. My friend Margaret, who lives in the older part of town where the ranchettes are (2-3 acres where you can keep a horse and a chicken coop), rides her horse through the McDonald's drive-through and to our house. Pretty cool place.

Nina

• blondie
    blondie

I live in a small town, near a bigger city. Best of both worlds. Some bigger cities are really only small communities that run together. We have had to contact local city government; they came over and looked at the situation themselves to assess the problem and they followed through. We have had people mow the grass when hubbie was in the hospital. When things like that happened we always went over and thank them with a big plate of cookies.

Blondie

• free2beme
    free2beme

I live in a small town, although not as small as yours, we have about 70,000 people here. I would not trade it for the world though. It is nice not being in the big city!

• aarque
    aarque

Here in upstate NY the towns are fairly large landwise. Within the borders are several villages. So, even though the town I live in has a population of a little more than 1600, that is divided among 4 villages. The village I live in is probably the largest in the town (pop.820), yet on the 2000 it was classified as a frontier because we are so isolated.. The nearest McDonald's is about 45 miles down the road. We have the smallest hospital in the entire state of NY. At one point last winter all 8 beds were filled. The nearest mall is more than 60 miles away. We're about an hour from the Canadian border. Yet, I love it up here; I'm never bored. I moved up here five years ago from a city of 98,000.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit