The divinity of Jesus as the Christ

by Theophilus 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

I've never seen an issue, however complicated, which cannot be made more complicated by discussion between experts.

Regardless of personalities involved, this is a good thread. Man, ain't livin' an' lovin' great!

waiting

• ianao
    ianao

Well now, after reading a great deal of these postings, and having previously had a nervous BREAKDOWN from the inconsistencies in the king james bible, I am wondering what all of the fuss is about.

I now have a copy of the NWT, and almost every time I see 'Jehovah' rendered, it is when Jesus or someone else is referring to texts in the old testament, which in the KJV read LORD instead of Jehovah. I have looked at several of the cross-references in the KJV and the NWT, and they make the same references to the same areas of the bible. i.e. LORD is rendered as Lord in the NT in the KJV.

Why is it wrong for the NWT to render the divine name in the OT and them render it also when quoted in the NT? Why continue to honor an old and outdated suspicion in light of the clarification made by separating when Jehovah's name was rendered? I know the LORD and Lord rendering are 'consistant', and agree with the Koine Greek as rendered. We are also not neo-platonic Greek's with shadowy thinking (or are we? :) ), so why do we need to continue the old LORD/Lord tradition if we are to find accurate understanding of God's word?

Oh wait, that's right. We must keep the LORD/Lord for the sake of the 'holy trinity'. You know, the three God people. I think I'll go home and worship my toothbrush now, with the sacred paste, and the triumphant cleansing from the evil plaque.

:)

:)

-ianao

• waiting
    waiting

Hey ianao,

You are a witness to a serious thread amongst debating men. Some good points, in between personality clashes. I guess that happens time to time. Being a woman, I wouldn't know about that.....

I am an inactive jw - I don't see the problem with using the improperly pronounced name of God - and I don't see the problem with not using the improperly pronounced name of God. Perhaps God sees - and hears - honest hearted ones either way?

Nice to meet you. We have a neat thread started "Hello? Hello? Hello?" introduction kind of thing going on. Will give you a quick overview of a lot of the new/old residents around here. Would be nice to read a little - or a lot - about you.

Welcome.

waiting

• praiseband
    praiseband

Writing (speaking) only humbly, because your discussions have gotten pretty technical ( and there's nothing wrong with that), but for me these are my thoughts. (1)Jehovah's Witnesses refer to Jesus as a perfect man. I am assuming a PERFECT man would not accept worship, or anything which could possibly be construed as worship, intended for God without considering it to be blaspehmous. He would correct people and point them in the right direction - to God. But Jesus DID accept worship, or certainly praise which could quite easily be construed to be worship, from others. To do this would mean he wasn't PERFECT. (2) How many others in history have been born to a virgin, after their parents were told of his impending birth by an angel? And that it would be by means of the Holy Spirit? Jehovah's Witnesses do believe this don't they? So, how could this person be simply a human when he has no human father? Just my thoughts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit