That pesky little comma!

by Gill 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

Since I am 53 years old, it is quite possible that I will find out exactly where that comma is supposed to go within 30 years.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mt 5:32 But I say unto you, ......

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies.....

Matthew 6:2 ......... Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Luke 23:43 And <kai> Jesus <Iesous> said <epo> unto him <autos>, Verily <amen> I say <lego> unto thee <soi>, To day <semeron> shalt thou be <esomai> with <meta> me <emou> in <en> paradise <paradeisos>.

shmeron semeron say'-mer-on on the (i.e. this) day (or night current or just passed); generally, now (i.e. at present, hitherto):--this (to-)day.

The dub explanation doesn't work. Jesus nor did anybody ever say "verily I say to you today," ... nobody talks that way it's stupid. One would have to assume that someone is too stupid to know that one is being spoken to at that moment.

• no one
    no one

Has anyone ever asked a JW this question :

Does this mean that the other criminal was judged then and there and will not be ressurrected at all?

If he is not judged at that moment, then Christ's statement does not appear to be singling the seemingly favorable criminal out for anything special that the other criminal wasn't also going to get.

• Gill
    Gill

Also, I don't recall Jesus saying to the evildoer on his other side, 'Truly I tell you today, you will NOT be with me in paradise!'

Thanks for all your comments.

As far as I can tell, that comma has only ever been there to serve the doctrine of the Watchtower Society! It really does make NO sense at all to put it where the Watchtower insists that it goes. It would also totally discredit their claims that you MUST work for your 'salvation' as the evildoer was going to be in 'Paradise' one way or another simply for expressing a faith and nothing negative was said to the other evildoer. You CANNOT put words into a persons mouth that were never said.......oh! I forgot! The Watchtower feels that it can, hence why it does!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit