Weird Scriptures

by deceit 22 Replies latest jw friends

• deceit
    deceit

Hi all,would just like to say a quick thanks to all the regular posters on this board, please dont think for one minute that your hard work in unmasking the Borg is going without notice. Lurkers read here and think subconsciously about all info provided and sooner or later it all dawns on them (like myself),,,, so once again thanks.

Now, what my question is, do any of you guys know some real good scriptures from the bible that are really weird/gross/unethical/murderous ect ect?

The reason being is that there are quit a few that I know that think the bible is like a nice smelling rose and seem to forget that there is also a really strange and dark side to it that really doesnt make any sense.

I have some already but I know there are heaps more.......pls help

THANKS

-Never To Be Deceived Again-

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Deceit,

Welcome and i hope you enjoy your time at this stimulating board.

I'm not going to list wierd verses, but here's a swell site that has more than you could ever desire: skepticsannotatedbible

It's loaded. I don't have the exact address, but that should get you there.

Pat

• Moxy
    Moxy

well i take 'weird'

one particularly weird passage which doesnt get much airtime is the part where jehovah suddenly tries to kill moses for no apparent reason.

Ex 4:24-6

And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him. Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

mox

• siegswife
    siegswife

I think it was because he wasn't circumcised. God told Abraham that any male of his household that wouldn't get circumcised was to be cut off from his people.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

clap clap,

always a comediane in every bunch!

• siegswife
    siegswife

LOL...that IS a pretty weird scripture. I HAD to check it out.

• Moxy
    Moxy

oh yes of course, siegswife thats the official explanation, as far as it goes. its still really wierd. why didnt jehovah tell moses anything? he just shows up at his place and tried to off him. how did zipporah know what was going on and what to do? the early parts of genesis and exodus where jehovah's just this guy walkin around, eating, and doing crazy stuff with no explanation are so weird.

two of my other very favourite weird passages are the sex sin at gibeah (Judg 20) and the census sin by david (2 sam 24) which were recently covered in another thread. theres so much WEIRD stuff packed into these 2 chapters, you simply must read them yourself!

mox

• Hojon
    Hojon

Here's a great site, on the right there is a list of things you can search by- Absurdities, Violence, Injustices, Contradictions, etc. Very cool.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

• arkangel
    arkangel

Remember Moses was raised for 40 years in the house of Pharaoh. He knew he was Hebrew but he was not familiar with their customs. Had he been familiar with the Hebrew customs he would have had his sons circumcised 8 days after they were born, but they weren't circumcised. Moses lagged on learning about his heritage. He was a Levite and needed to know the customs to understand the people he was about to lead out of Egypt. He needed to become Hebrew again. His wife cutoff the foreskin of their child to show Moses that he needed to start obeying Jehovah and become part of the covenant of Abraham. It was due to Moses disobedience that caused his life to be in jeopardy. Zapporah did understand the Hebrew culture.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You're not a very nice person, are you arkangel?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit