Does anything happen to a JW if they cause an unbaptised convert to leave?

by seatrout 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• seatrout
    seatrout

Does anyone have congregational experience of an aftermath such as the above?

I once fell deeply in love with a JW (and vice versa) and the week before I was due to leave work some dubs came around to my home on my offday to convert me. however, I refused to go since we had a serious fallout prior to them turning up.

A few months later I then entered the congregation to try to salvage the relationship, and went to two meetings, but I didn't declare to other JW's there that it was for an emotional need that I had turned up with the hope of being with her. She wasn't there on both occasions so I made a telephone call to declare the 'good news' to her. Her mother answered, but before she had the chance to tell her daughter that I was converted she made it vehemently plain that she didn't want to speak to me and that she wanted rid. Out of shock I instantly put the phone down and never went to another meeting. The point is this incident caused me to leave for good.

So my question is this; does anything happen to a JW if they cause an unbaptised convert to leave? What would the elders have done to her (if they were required to do anything at all)?

Many years have passed since this incident and ealier in the year I employed someone to find out if she was willing to make contact with me. I was told that she was. I have since been sending letters to her via this third party and since my first approach I have a dub knocking on doors on my village. I know alot more about the Watchtower now and I am never going back, but I am really concerned for her. Which is more likely, that she is acting out of genuine compassion/remorse or because she has been heavily repremanded in the past?

Any advice and inside experience greatly welcome (especially from former elders). SEATROUT.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

seatrout

I'm sure that your girl friend had a lot of pressure put upon her by her family and congregation elders from the very start. "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers" is still the mantra of the Watchtower Society. Undoubtedly, she had been commended when you broke off seeing her. And this is why she didn't want to resume the relationship.

Had you been studying with JWs for some time and regularly attending the meetings, you would have been viewed as a potential convert. Then, there might have been some concern that you were "stumbled." But since your interest was mainly in the girl, I don't think that any guilt was involved.

Her circumstances now have probably changed. So, if she has shown interest she probably is no longer influenced by her parents or elders.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Bible condemns the person that stumbles another. I know of the elders using this concept to reprimand people for wearing immodest clothing etc, yet i have never heard of anyone that was reprimanded for literally stumbling someone out of the truth.

In your situation, I doubt anyone even realised that she stumbled you and she would not have been spoken to about it. More than likely it was assumed that you were not interested in the Truth, but just trying to snare a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit