I have a question for Scully...

by james_woods 9 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was just wondering why you always put TM on words that the WTS have hijacked for their nefarious purposes...

is it just to point out the stupidity of the "newspeak" or do you actually think they might try to sue you for plaigerism?

Surely they could not start a case just because an apostate happened to get caught saying "sister" or "brother"?

Just interested, James -

PS, how did you manage to get the little TM to appear the way you do?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    how did you manage to get the little TM to appear the way you do?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

MS Word??

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Eves dropper here, LOL

PS, how did you manage to get the little TM to appear the way you do?

I know, I know!........letmeat'em....I'll answer that one and let Scully sort out the rest.

'tis easy hold down Alt key and number key(s) 0153. Like this ™ ta'da'!

Lots of number key combos you can find them somewhere on your computer (the list) like this one 0174 is ® then there is 0188 ¼ . Have fun!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Okay I found the list through Microsoft Word. You got to the Insert Tab/Special Characters and you'll see the commands and the lists.

• Clam
    Clam

I do this myself as the Watchtower

ä is not only very corporate in character but also churns out the same old words to the point of them becoming clichéd. This therefore implies that they actually own them, eg

Elder

Ô Armageddon Ô 144,000 Ô etc.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Sweet! I never knew this, see you learn new things everyday! Thanks

• Scully
    Scully

james_woods:

I was just wondering why you always put TM on words that the WTS have hijacked for their nefarious purposes... is it just to point out the stupidity of the "newspeak" or do you actually think they might try to sue you for plaigerism?

Do I think they might try to sue me for plagiarism? .... well, they'd have to find me first, wouldn't they?

Actually, I started doing it to remind myself when I was using WT jargon. The language is so loaded with peculiar clichés and distinct terms, not to mention commonplace words that have a special WT spin on them in terms of what they mean to JWs vs. what they mean to the average non-JW. Once I got started, I was amazed at how much of the JWs speech is littered with these kinds of words and phrases.

Thanks for sharing the technique, bikerchik

I actually started a thread eons ago with a whole bunch of different characters that can be made using the same technique. I think changes to the site kind of screwed it up though.

The TruthTM and other e£u$¡ve ¢Hà®á©te®$ http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/24/68115/1.ashx

• james_woods
    james_woods

Thanks, Scully... your reason is a good one:

_____

Actually, I started doing it to remind myself when I was using WT jargon. The language is so loaded with peculiar clichés and distinct terms, not to mention commonplace words that have a special WT spin on them in terms of what they mean to JWs vs. what they mean to the average non-JW. Once I got started, I was amazed at how much of the JWs speech is littered with these kinds of words and phrases.

_____

I am glad you do this too - it helps everybody remember the stupidity of their jargon. And, I was around far enough back in time to watch them constantly change the buzzwords. Just like Winston Smith, if you couldn't keep up with the latest society-speak, you could get marked for not being in the progressive light. Example: Return Visits used to be Back-Calls...Meeting for field service used to be Rendezvous for Service...Circuit Overseer vs Circuit Servant...Bulliten Board had to be called Information Board because of navy association to "bull"...and it just goes on and on.

James

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Dear Scully

Just to say - keep it up!

Your thingies (aka symbols) make me smile.

Regards.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

now try going to an English meeting one week

then go to spanish the next

then Italian cong another

and french another.

Even if you know all these languages, you will have a hard time translating WT "jargon" from one language to the other.In other words try not to answer at these meetings for you will not sound like a witness, unless you read WT answer word for word from the mags

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit