reasoning with an active JW

by Sam87 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam87
    Sam87

hi everyone, Ive been on myspace recently and have been talking to a JW for the last few days, its hard to reason with him because everything i say to him he seems to brush it off, below is the conversation that ive been having with him so far.

The responses ive been giving him are probably not the best but ive given it my best shot, if anyone has any idea on where i should take this from now i would be very appreciative

PS. ive been using my girlfriends myspace account so thats why it says Sarah on the messages aswell as Sam.

(read from top to bottom)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------- Original Message -----------------

Sarah Date: Nov 20 2006 9:16 PM

hi, i just noticed you in the jehovah witness forum, I feel as if I should tell you that I was a jehovahs witness all of my life up untill the last few months (im 19 at the moment) and there is a lot more to the background of the religion than what you might think.
    I think you should read up about the witnesses before you move too far into the religion, do google searchs on them and find out about things like the United Nations association that they had, the blood issues, the changing of dates, and where the religion originaly came from.
    I know a lot will tell you not to do this, but it says in the bible that if one thing is true, you will be able to put it through any test and it will never fail, so in other words if the JW’s have the true religion then there shouldn’t have been any mistakes or false doctrines, because after all God cant lie. (so how could he lie in his own religion)
    Thanks for listening, im just trying to help, and save you the heartache of figuring it out later on, cheers

From Sam.

LP Date: Nov 20 2006 11:43 PM

so then what religion shoud I go?

Sarah Date: Nov 21 2006 8:06 PM

thanks for the reply, where in the bible does it say you have to belong to a religion?
    God will judge us all individualy, not as a group, so does it make any difference if you are in any religion at all?
    (i think god would be more angry if someone supported false religion that doesnt do what the bible said)

thanks,
    from Sam.

LP Date: Nov 21 2006 11:04 PM

well, I dont wanna be like Proverbs 18:1
    I've already done that for decades and that is a lost and lonely world... what religion do you belong to?

Sarah Date: Nov 22 2006 3:31 PM

I am not actually familar with proverbs 18:1 because i am at work at the moment (i shouldnt be on myspace at work! lol) maybe you could tell me what it says? At the moment I don’t belong to a religion, It doesn’t say you have to be with one in the bible, so I see no need to be associated with one. Another question, are you familiar with this? it is all taken from publications from the Jehovahs Witnesses.

*** Watchtower 1919 April 1 p.6414 ***
    …Is not the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society the one and only channel which the Lord has used in dispensing his TRUTH continually since the beginning of the harvest period?
    --
    if this is so then why does the rules on different issues keep changing? for example blood transfusions? The celebration of christmas? The cross? (which was used by the Watchtower)

------------
    *** The Watchtower Reprints, January 15, 1892, p.1355 ***

The date of the close of that ‘battle’ is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874.

Scan Available at http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/quotes/scans/1892_w_jan_15_p1355.tif

-Well this one is kind of obvious, the end hasnt come yet, isnt that false prophecy? (you cant argue around this one what so ever)

I think these matters are very big indeed, and this is only a small portion of what actually has been written in the publications and then something contradicting that has been written latter on in another publication, is this the way God would run his organisation? Giving them false truths followed by ‘’new light’’? I don’t mean to preach to you about it, but if you could prove to me that this really is the truth then I would gladly get baptised and stick with it, but as you can see this is not a religion run by God. I have recently left the organisation because of the fact that god wouldn’t let this happen in his one true religion, remember God cant lie.

Thanks again for the reply,

Respectfully,

Sam.

oh yeah... I've ssen tons of that stuff... check out Provebs 18:1... I believe the Bible has power and when you hold it in your hand and study it for yourself with a prayerful open mind is when you will find the truth and thetruth will set you free!

Sarah Date: Nov 27 2006 1:42 PM

I see your point LP, but does that scripture say anything about being with anyone in particlular? (the JWs for example) that scripture could be taken many different ways.
    That still does not counter act the things i have shown you about the organisation though, although it is a good scripture to live by it really doesnt have anything to do with what i said. What is your viewpoint on the mistakes that the org has made? how do you go on thinking the JWs have the true religion after these things have been brought to your attention?

Respectfully,

From Sam.

''What is your viewpoint on the mistakes that the org has made? how do you go on thinking the JWs have the true religion after these things have been brought to your attention?''

good question!
    during my atheist years and the decades when I was attending all the churches of the world, I often wondered 'how did the Hebrews go on thinking that Jacob, Moses, David and Solomon had the true religion with all the mistakes they made?

The answer of course is that no human beside Jesus has ever been perfect. But one thing we *do* know from the Scriptures is that Jehovah has always had only "one people" ... well, until the prophesied apostasy took control (2 Thessalonians 2:3) But centuries later that apostasy was exposed by a group of Bible students (Daniel 12:4; Isaiah 2:2) who recognized the abundance of un-Scriptural teachings in the hundreds divided sects of that apostasy. But "the only true God" (John 17:3) is a God of organization. The order of the universe attests to this. Christ said he would gather together "one flock" (John 10:16) and indeed, as instructed, they are united and "all speak in agreement" (1 Corinthians 1:10) throughout every single country over the entire planet!
    Heb 10:24, 25
    2 Cor 6:15-18
    1 Peter 2:17
    Acts 15:14-18
    Acts 15:22-31
    Acts 16:4, 5
    Eph 4:11-16
    Titus 1:5
    1Ti 3:1-13
    1Pe 5:2, 3
    Joshua 23:2
    Acts 14:23
    Acts 20:28
    1 Cor 11:3
    Psalms 133:1

so the fact that they are as imperfect as Moses and David and Solomon does not negate the fact that they are the *only* organization that is in every country on the planet wherein *every* person in the organization is following the example of Jesus by going door to door and preaching the good news of his Father Jehovah's Kingdom. They are also the *only* organization that is in every country on the planet that has removed itself from the divisive and murderous worldwide political machine of Satan.

and there are *so* many other ways in which the organized group of Christians called Jehovah's Witnesses adhere strictly to the Scriptural teachings of Christ and his Father Jehovah that make it so very plain that they are *very* different from the hundreds of divided sects of the worlds religions.

would you like to know more?
    Did you know that Satan's religious leaders have had God's personal Divine name removed from the Bible and replaced by a mere title?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    so the fact that they are as imperfect as Moses and David and Solomon does not negate the fact that they are the *only* organization

Fact: You never said men weren't imperfect...However God used these men to write the Bible and they didn't go back and keep changing what they wrote (new light, old light) like the WTS DOES CONSTANTLY! Moses didn't keep re-writing the 10 commandments for instance!

that is in every country on the planet wherein *every* person in the organization is following the example of Jesus by going door to door and preaching the good news of his Father Jehovah's Kingdom.

Well, they aren't doing a very good job as they only recently got the "all important life-saving tract" out to only a few million people, when there are 6 BILLION WORLDWIDE!!!!!!

They are also the *only* organization that is in every country on the planet that has removed itself from the divisive and murderous worldwide political machine of Satan

Why do they have an office in Washington DC and lobby for their interests? Why do they attend conferences and participate in seminars with the U.N.???? (They were in attendance as recently as 2005)

I wouldn't spend a lot more time on this person...if they want the facts they are out there, but he needs to put forth effort to do his own research.

Swalker

• Honesty
    Honesty

He may be too far gone to help.

Once the fear of Armageddon sets in their minds it is almost impossible to dialogue with them because they are too worried about being annihilated by the false god of the Watchtower.

• willyloman
    willyloman

"reasoning with an active JW" is an oxymoron.

Need proof: He believes this:

*every* person in the organization is following the example of Jesus by going door to door and preaching the good news of his Father Jehovah's Kingdom.

I went out in FS for more than 25 years and almost never heard a dub preach anything like that. They think that is what they are doing when they go out, but they don't preach it. They preach "read this magazine." If they talk more than that, it almost always is in response to questions such as "Why don't you celebrate birthdays?"

If you doubt that, then why isn't it universal knowledge after 125 years of door-to-door witnessing" that JWs preach "the good news of the kingdom?"

Not one in a million householders would check that box on a questionnaire, if you asked 'em what JWs stood for.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You are unlikely to get anywhere with this person, I have given up as I get to frustrated. Unless they are searching for answers there is no point. However, if you want some ideas on her questions here are some articles that address her comments.

Did you know that Satan's religious leaders have had God's personal Divine name removed from the Bible and replaced by a mere title?

The truth about this is that the WTS dishonestly has added to Divine Name to the New Testament. http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/Jehovah.htm

so then what religion shoud I go?

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/where.htm

In regards to the apostles making mistakes see http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/light.htm

If you ever need to check a scripture the http://www.blueletterbible.org is a great source that shows a number of versions, and the WTS has an electronic version of the NWT.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The only group going door to door? Hardly. Ask him about the Mormons.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You need to press him for answers. For instance after the part on 1874 all he said was, yes i know that. You need to ask how he feels about a religion that has spent 100 years making false predictions. Then say that if it is OK for Gods organization to get things wrong now, ask him how many Bible scriptures are wrong, and if there are none then why doesn't Jehovah direct his organization anymore? When he says it is different and that they do not claim to be infallible I would respond. "Exactly, and because we are all infallible I would rather worship God than follow an infallible organization. I certainly can not accept a religion that has a history of mistakes that then says God is so unmerciful he will kill billions of people just because they do not follow the Watchtower Society."

“There are billions of people who do not know Jehovah. Many of them in ignorance practice things that God’s Word shows to be wicked. If they persist in this course, they will be among those who perish during the great tribulation.” Watchtower 1993 October 1 p.19

“ Only Jehovah’s Witnesses , those of the anointed remnant and the “great crowd,” as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil.” Watchtower 1989 September 1 p.19

• Sam87
    Sam87

thank you all for your help, SWALKER, Honesty, willyloman, jwfacts and jgnat, i aggree with you all and they are great sugestions, i know i am wasting my time but for some reason i really find it quite enjoyable to reason with JWs, lol.

"reasoning with an active JW" is an oxymoron.

you said willyloman, is it? because there are plenty of inactive JWs that are baptised that dont go to the meetings, dont beleive it and dont preach it, hence being inactive, maybe im wrong though, thank you all again for your good advice.

Sam87

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit