Any ideas for a Home Business?

by joanne_ 19 Replies latest jw friends

• joanne_
    joanne_

Thanks everyone, the medical typing from home has always interested me. But now all I have is a laptop that keeps crashing. I would like to sell on E-bay, but what is a good seller now? Something in arts and crafts, that interests me. That would be interesting. Hmmmm And no I do not want to do tupperware or multilevel, I am not good at recruiting...lol. I am going to check out jnat's suggestion....Thanks everyone.

Meanwhile, I have joined Community Kitchens and it is just great. We cook alot and then freeze it up.

And yes, my boys have to get a job, if they want any extras at all, they have to do that.

Thanks again everyone.

Joanne

• Mulan
    Mulan

You can clean houses. I did it for years and made good money. I know a woman who makes $1000 a week, cleaning for doctors, who refer her to all their friends. She also runs errands for them, cooks occasionally, and works their parties doing all the kitchen work.

It is hard work, but you pick your own hours, and you set the price. I had a man tell me he would pay me $30 for cleaning his house. I told him that would get him 1 hour. He was upset, but hired me anyway.

Back when I was doing it almost full time, I charged $60 to clean an average house. A big house might run $100. I didn't move furniture, wash windows (I told them that is a seperate trade and I could refer someone to do that) and I didn't change sheets. It was just my preference for the sake of my back, but lots of girls do it.

Most of my customers had me come every two weeks, and more often for parties and holiday events.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser
    You can clean houses.

You mean as a janitor? Gasp! (sarcasm)

Not that I care what people do in their work or what their businesses are. I personally think that having a cleaning business is fine. I worked for a friend who installed and cleaned carpets for a while. What I find funny is how in this forum doing that type of work by active jws is used in a negative way.

I find thread after thread in this forum about janitor and carpet cleaners jws as this was a bad thing. But its ok to do it now since you're no longer a jw?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

R6laser: I find thread after thread in this forum about janitor and carpet cleaners jws as this was a bad thing. But its ok to do it now since you're no longer a jw?

Hmmm ... you may be making a few nasty and uncalled-for assumptions are you not? Are you certain the one(s) who mention janitorial work in this thread are the same one(s) who talk negative about it in those other threads you refer to? Think about it. You may wish to do the right thing -- and I think you know what that is.

Fats

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ebay can be good, but if you don't have a sure thing to sell, it can be costly to do the listings. The Ebay stores used to be a good idea, but Ebay changed the way they do things and made it much less effective and more expensive at the same time. I closed my Ebay store a few months ago. Originally I had made several hundred dollars a month and it dwindled to nothing (sold books). Amazon is ok for books, but it is a learning process to know which ones sell. I make a hundred or more a month on average. On Ebay in the auctions, if you have good products from garage sales or what have you-you can make great money. I have turned around bed linens(really nice stuff) purchased for $5 and resold them for $75. I have heard copper sells well (like molds etc) on ebay. Get a camera and study the other ads for auctions. Good luck with what you decide.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I don't really have any advice on what to do but stay away from the get rich quick crap you see on tv and hear on the radio. Here is sight where you can find info on many of these scams. A lot of people get their wallets cleaned out by these crooks.

http://www.infomercialscams.com/

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Our daughter did Ironing for people, they either dropped and collected or she would collect and deliver. It was charged by the basket load, obviously you have a basket size in mind first.

Lots of people hate ironing, so there is usually a demand for this, but you need to have your customers within easy distance of your home.

Kaytee

• joanne_
    joanne_

Thanks Guys and Gals, I am going to look into a few things. Thanks for link about the scams, that will come in handy.

Have a good day!

Joanne

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

Hmmm ... you may be making a few nasty and uncalled-for assumptions are you not? Are you certain the one(s) who mention janitorial work in this thread are the same one(s) who talk negative about it in those other threads you refer to? Think about it. You may wish to do the right thing -- and I think you know what that is.

Fats

I'm not making any nasty remarks. Just stating the truth, on this forum you see people talk down about active jws who are janitors and such. If you don't see that then you must be blind. The ones that don't say that and don't think that way then it doesn't apply to you. I don't need to do the right thing because I don't think like that.

• whyizit
    whyizit

You could become bonded and put the word out that you are available for house, plant, and/or pet sitting for people who go out of town. Picking up their paper and mail, turning lights on at night, feed the fish, let the dog out twice a day,.... etc. It's hard to find trustworthy people to do those things. Ask friends to refer you and to advertise on their bulletin board at work.

A friend of mine goes to yard sales and thrift shops, browsing for things that she knows sell well on e-bay. She says that new, name brand children's clothing and antiques are a good gamble. ( If you come across any OLD WTS literature, it can be kind of pricey. I know! I have paid a tidy little sum for the treasures myself! Especially the ones that prove false prophecies and changed teachings. ) Just make sure you make it worth your while on the shipping.

Holiday time is a good time to advertise baked products. I know a lady who makes a killing on her yeast rolls and Christmas cookies. Another girl makes candles and I was amazed at the amount of orders she received.

My niece makes a nice additional income from the jars of cookie mixes and soups that she layers into pretty little gifts. They are labeled with the "how to fix" instructions & have a fancy little bow. She takes orders and people she works with buy them up like hot cakes. Last minute gifts. A good bet this time of year. Don't cost much to make, Yet, are worth a lot to someone who is in a crunch for time.

Long term, it takes a while to build up a good client list. You have to build a reputation and trust. Word of mouth is the best way. The girl who made the candles handed me and all her other friends a list of the scents and sizes, prices, and asked us to see if our friends would like to order. I was amazed! I reluctantly asked around, and EVERYONE was interested! She expanded to include soaps, lotions, and shampoos. She used regular canning jars for her candles. Cheap from the dollar store.

Find what you enjoy, then advertise on bulletin boards (in grocery stores, churches, etc...) , small town newspapers, club newsletters, college newspapers, etc... Anywhere that is cheap. Try to keep your over-head low and your quality nice. Don't under price yourself. I did that with my small business, then it was a headache to try to raise the prices. Everyone expects it to stay the same. You want to be competitive, but keep it worth your while. Otherwise, you will get burnt out.

A lot of home based businesses work around seasons. Lawn mowing in the summer, snow removal in the winter. It goes in waves. Find what you like and go for it! It pans out for a lot of people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit