by LDH 7 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Nope. Not who you think it is. Not:

1. The big mouth Latina wearing the gold door-knocker earrings
    2. The skanky burnt out white chick with no teeth on one side
    3. The overweight un-pedicured black chick with three kids

NOPE! It's none of them!

It is 20% of the Fortune 500 who receive USDA farm subsidies! These include Ag giant Archer-Daniels-Midland (ADM) . Media Mogul Ted Turner, and B-ball's Scottie Pippen. The Simplot heirs (you know, the ones who supply McDonalds with their french fries?)

Yup. If you want food stamps, you've gotta fill out a million forms, proving you have a need for a paltry $2-300 per month, and put up with shitty attitude from case workers who act like the money they're giving out is their own.

Farmers, on the other hand, don't have to demonstate a need to get their portion of $20 billion dollars in federal funding.

US Rep Doug Ose's family partership receives doles yearly. Yet the Sacramento, CA REPUBLICAN is one of the wealthiest members of Congress, with an estimated net worth of more than $12 million.

Yep. Whenever you see a welfare mom putting another bag of Cheetos in her cart, don't get mad! At least you only paid for them ONCE.

Just remember that you paid for those McDonald's french cries twice!

Once at the drive thru and once through your tax dollars.

Welfare mothers indeed.

Lisa

• Seeker
    Seeker

Corporations are increasingly running the world, politicians included. Those who have the money get the laws passed that they want. Corporations have the money, they benefit from the laws. It's an extremely simple equation.

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Lisa--

Have a look at the meat industry! You will be sick. Read Fast Food Nation--great book though the author's name escapes me at the moment. You will never feel the same about eating meat again. Not in the US anyways.

It is truly sickening what is going on with Special Interests right now. If people only knew! The most ironic part is that the worst (by far) offenders are the ones who also cry for Morality and Righteousness.

Guess who was in ADM's back pocket for years? Bob I'd-give-anything-to-be-president Dole. Great book--Senator for Sale.

It's gotten to the point that the Special Interests are feeding lines to Senators during debates on the floor. Soon we could cut out the middle-man and just let the Special Interests write the legislation and vote on the bills.

McCain was right when he said the first thing that should have been addressed was campaign finance reform. Who tabled it? Guess.

Good post--
    Julie

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Free market indeed!

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((Lisa))))))))) how ya feelin' Mom?
    Yanno,I found that out years ago ,and was so outraged at what corps receive........What piqued my curiousity was readin Sinclairs 'The Jungle'........ looked around and saw what you found! Thanks for ahring this.luv,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Hojon
    Hojon
    McCain was right when he said the first thing that should have been addressed was campaign finance reform. Who tabled it? Guess.

Yeah, his own part pretty much "disfellowshipped" him over this issue. They sure blasted him about in the media. I am not a Republican and don't agree with most of what McCain stands for but I'm with him on the campaign reform idea.

It obviously scares those in power or they wouldn't react as strongly to it as they do.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

From a 1995 newspaper article by Thomas F. Roeser. He is a fellow of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University and founder of the Republican Assembly of Illinois.

GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY FEEDS 'FREE MARKET'

"Not long after I became an assistant secretary of commerce under President Nixon, I stumbled upon an amazing discovery.

The big business community (mostly white-owned), which had long extolled 'free enterprise' since the founding of this republic, was hooked far more than I realized on government subsidies.

The Cato Institute has just cataloged 125 programs in the federal budget designed to assist 'business'---meaning, of course, mostly white-owned businesses. When I was sworn in, in 1969, I counted roughly $13 billion worth of subsidies. Cato's figure today is $53.7 billion. (remember this is from 1995!)

The gist of Cato's recommendation is that these subsidies be cut. Very well. But recall that it is mostly white-owned businesses that have thus profited since the founding of the republic.

It was clear that I was picked as assistant secretary for minority enterprise, because as a white conservative, I could be fired by a mostly white administration without prompting a racial furor. One recommendation I made lasted: Take a percentage of federal contracts--I called them 'set-asides'--and give them to minority-owned businesses. I recommended a 10 year program, after which it would be terminated. It has just now been challenged by the Supreme Court, 25 years later.

It was the second proposal, however, that got me fired: Take a tiny percetage of the federal subsidies given to white industry and apportion them to qualifying minority enterprises. The strategy paper containing this recommedation, when sent to the president, resulted in my termination.

No problem. I went back to private industry, happier and wiser than when I had left it. All my life I have been judged a conservative. But I must tell you that whenever big business pays tribute to its growth by mistily referring to itself as 'private enterprise', I am impelled to raise the window sash for fresh air. As a government official, I learned too much.

Let's remember, when we wonder what happened to minority enterprise, that white-owned business has leaned heavily on government as on a crutch, while its leaders pretend, in speeches to chambers of commerce, that they do not.

This has meant that, for the most part, excluding my 'set-asides', only minority-owned businesses have been expected to practice what white pro-business executives so eagerly trumpet as 'free market capitalism'.

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• LDH
    LDH

Tatiana that is a powerful article.

Tina, I've realized this a long time ago, just wanted to post it because the 'masses' have this idea that 'welfare moms' are ripping this country off, when it's actually white-owned corporate America.

It kind of makes me sick to think of millionaires like Ted Turner and Scottie Pippen on the dole. And they don't have enough shame not to ask for it.

As far as they're concerned, if they're 'legally' eligible, they'll ask for the government subsidy.

I wonder what it would do to our economy if ALL of us signed up for ALL the programs we were eligible then.

You'd hear the Repubs screaming for sure.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit