How many JW’s do you know do the turkey-thing (Thanksgiving) each year?

by cyberguy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    Don't they consider that the were Indians pagan? The jw's like to look at the origins of things right? It sure feels somewhat patriotic to me especially if you go to the little kids plays at school! If an entire county celebrates together the first Thanksgiving I think it would be safe to say it is a patriotic holiday.

Carla, remember you never grew up in a JW family. They tune things out and pretend others things don't happen. They live in a cocoon. No flag waving like the 4th of July and there is nothing pagan about eating turkey just because the Pilgrims were introduced to it by non-Christians. There is no reading of Thanksgiving stories or watching movies or reflecting on the history of the day (many non-JWs don't do that either). No mention of Thanksgiving or bless this country in any prayer that is said. They just focus on food, family, and football.

Is this hypocritical! Of course! JWs are a hypocritical group (not that they are alone in that).

It is much harder at Christmas time where going to church in celebration is more likely, where decorations are plentiful, where singing and music is more likely (does anyone sing or play Thanksgiving songs any more).

The most difficult holidays in my opinion for JWs to try and skate past are Christmas and Easter.

Easier are Thanksgiving and New Years.

Blondie

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Blondie-thanks for that perspective.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Luckily I always had no shortage of Thanksgiving Turkey and Xmas dinners thanks to dad being an UBM. Thank God for UBMs!!

• TheHypnoToad
    TheHypnoToad

My parents always had a turkey diner (big one) on thanksgiving, as us kids got older we all went "home" with our wifes and kids. We even joked that it was our thanksgiving diner. But not on Christmas, just thanksgiving.

• zagor
    zagor

I don't know about Thanksgiving but I know quite a few of them who just happened to have 'special' get-togethers every year on Christmas and New Year ... go figure

• zeroday
    zeroday

There is alot more important things to be concerned with than what brother elder is eating for dinner on Thanksgiving.

For years I refused to participate in the Thanksgiving dinner with my non JW family claiming the JW's were no part of this world. It angered them and saddened them. Then one year I get an invite to a pioneer sisters house for dinner, just happened to fall on Thanksgiving day. It was her family and another Elder and his family. I arrived in total horror to see a totally decked out Thanksgiving dinner, turkey and everything. I was so embarrassed to be there having turned down my own family for years and hurting them dearly only to arrive at a witness family for the same thing. I felt like DIRT...

• seawolf
    seawolf

Most I know do. Many also do it around Christmas, too. yum yum

• Pwned
    Pwned

we never did but maybe its different in spanish cong. since its an american tradition.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    For years I refused to participate in the Thanksgiving dinner with my non JW family claiming the JW's were no part of this world. It angered them and saddened them. Then one year I get an invite to a pioneer sisters house for dinner, just happened to fall on Thanksgiving day. It was her family and another Elder and his family. I arrived in total horror to see a totally decked out Thanksgiving dinner, turkey and everything. I was so embarrassed to be there having turned down my own family for years and hurting them dearly only to arrive at a witness family for the same thing. I felt like DIRT...

This has happened to me as well, it's like a huge hit in the gut. Making the sacrifices to find out that others do not, and then to think it really does not matter if you have a dinner like that.

I think JW's would make good lawyers, they find loopholes in everything.

purps

• blondie
    blondie
    There is alot more important things to be concerned with than what brother elder is eating for dinner on Thanksgiving.

Cindy, did you know that if a JW went to a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving with their non-JW relatives and/or friends and the elders found out, that they would be talked to, that they would be told that they should not have gone; yet the elders can go home and have turkey dinner on Thanksgiving with JW friends and relatives and it is okay.

What happens if the non-JW relatives/friends find out that you went to a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving with other JWs but refused to come to their home on the same day for a similar meal? Do you think that will draw them to the God JWs are preaching? I know it won't. So it is important.

It is very hypocritical and damages the ethical and spiritual personality of the people involved in this charade.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit