It's a small world

by Why Georgia 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Just a quick note. I started my new real grown up job yesterday at a bank. I just wanted a break from Ebay, I wanted set work hours and a set amount in a paycheck each week. We had a ton of team building exercises, all the first day stuff, etc. At our lunch break I noticed one of my team mates was crying in the bathroom. I went over to see if I could help. She told me I wouldn't understand but thank you. I being annoyingly persistent, said...you'd be surprised what I've been through. It looks like you are really upset, can I please try to help you? Then she tells me.. My husband and I have 6 children. 4 are biologically mine and 2 are my step children. My husband was married before, and his ex-wife is a Jehovahs Witness. Everytime the 2 kids come back from being with her, they tell my kids they are going to die because they are not Jehovahs Witnesses. Then we put the Christmas tree up and the older 12 year old said we were pagan and not worshipping Jehovah. She went on to say that this behavior has gotten worse and worse since she and her husband were married and she feels as though she can't take the stress. I explained to her my situation with my husband and his family and that I do understand what she is going through. She looked so relieved, and I told her I would try to help her anyway I could. I will be in training with her for the next 10 weeks everyday. Last night, she and I and her husband talked for 30 minutes in the parking lot. He is so nice and he adores her. He was not ever a JW, just married to one. They are both Catholic, and not really into the bible. Just going through the motions...so to speak. I am hoping I can help these people with information or just support because they both seem so nice Best Regards, Chrystal

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi Georgia,

Its great that you and your hubby can be a support for this family. The best advice given is always advice from someone who has walked in your shoes and made it.

The kid's mother sounds like a really die hard witness. When hubby and I and the kids were in, the rest of my family were all Catholic and celebrated xmas. Since hubby was out of work and the kids off from school, we would go visit family on Dec. 26 and during the vacation week. I always taught me kids NOT to say anything about the xmas tree or it being pagan. I felt that during someones holiday it would not be proper and respectful to try to give them a sermon about why it is wrong. My kids were very good about it. And I always taught them NEVER to judge any other kids or tell them they will be destroyed for not believing in Jehovah and that it is Jehovah's job to decide that. Of course I also (behind my hubby's back) told them this teaching of the JW's was not true.

Good luck helping your new friend. So sad to hear how families are affected by the negative influence of the tower. Lilly

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

This was my 2nd run in this week with all things JW......

I hope it's the last for a while!

Here's what happened this weekend!

This weekend we took on a very large home improvement project. My house is the Old Attleboro Adventist Church built in 1899. About 30 years ago, they poured a cement wheelchair ramp down the side of my house because of the Americans With Disabilities Laws. The cement had cracked in a few places and water made its way into my basement....so I decided - LETS RIP THIS THING OUT! So we are out there with some friends and all this heavy equipment (Back hoe, Bob Cat with a jack hammer, dump truck) ripping out the ramp. Then who should walk up, the JW elder who has been here before, that I told to commit an unnatural act.....well he walks up with a sister who we knew once upon a time when we were going to the KH. Elder: Is Jason here.....? Me: Nope. No Jason here. Elder: Are you sure...? Me: Yes, I am very sure there is no Jason here. Elder: Well I need to speak to Jason, are you sure that Jason isn't here? Me: Look around, we are working. There is no Jason here. No one wants your magazines and nobody wants to be saved go away. Elder: So Jason doesn't live here anymore? Me: No Jason ever lived here - Go Away!!! He and the sister left, and got into their very sensible service vehicle. You would think he would have recognized me from our last conversation over a year ago, when I threatened to feed his balls to Cleo (my German Shepherd) if he ever stepped back on our property....but I guess Jehovahs Holy Spirit took that bad memory from his mind and just made him go forth in his mission to contact Jason to give him the latest spiritual food. Also, you'd think if he was really interested in talking to my husband he could at least get his name right!!!!! Another funny thing...I know this sister, she has been in my home when we lived in another town she came with another sister for a personal study with me. She knows my name, she knows my husbands name, she has known my husband forever...she never once told him my husbands name isn't Jason or pointed out my husband standing nearby. My husband was standing 10 feet away, smirking....he didn't walk up and save the poor guy. He heard the whole thing and said....You probably scared them off for another year. I know this visit was probably prompted by my mother in law. She tried to talk to my husband about some JW thing last week and he wasn't interested. He was pretty blunt, which he has never been before. Best Regards, Chrystal

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

The other thing that I don't get is why when you talk to people who have a relative in the WTS, they think its just another religion like Catholic, Baptist, Etc.

When I have told people in the past it's a cult, they think I am crazy. Now I don't say that. I always say its a very high control group and they structure all their members activity.

I don't get it, the people know something is wrong, but they think calling the JW's a cult is mean or judgemental.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Georgia,

You are having a time of it regarding the jws llately! They rang my bell earlier, despite my request not to be called on - I've been ranting about that on another thread lol.

I hope you are able to help your work colleague. That 12 year old sounds well and truly brainwashed already, so I can see why your friend gets upset when they are around. I think you handled the dub callers well too, they won't be back for a while. As for why people don't see the jws as a cult, which they are, I think it's because of the way the wts is set up. The "traditional" idea of a cult seems to be a lot of people living together in somesort of commune, like Jonestown, ruled by one charismatic leader, whereas the jws indoctrinate people in a more friendly way in the comfort of their own home initially, and love - bomb them at the meetings. They don't recruit on the streets like most cults do either. I guess they are more subtle than most cults, and can thus convince people more easily they they aren't really a cult themselves.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Hi Dedpoet,

I think you are right about why people don't see JW's as a cult. I suppose in most peoples minds they are just really devoted Christians.

As far as having a lot of JW stuff this week, yep...but I suppose we were due. Aside from family run ins we haven't been on the JW's radar for awhile...I guess it was our turn! LOL!

I am wondering though, if when they were in their sensible service vehicle the sister finally told the elder my husbands name and that he was there the whole time! I guess it will remain a mystery! LOL

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• hubert
    hubert
    I explained to her my situation with my husband and his family and that I do understand what she is going through. She looked so relieved, and I told her I would try to help her anyway I could.

Looks like you were in the right place at the right time. So good of you to try and help her.

Maybe you could give her the link to this forum, too. Good luck, Crystal.

Hubert

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I know that dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses can be a very emotional experience. But I also think that handling these types of situation with kindness and love is better for both parties. Having been on both sides, I know that most Jehovah's Witnesses are sincere. They really do believe that your life is in jeopardy if you reject the message they bring. One can express appreciation for their efforts but make it clear that you are not interested and request that they do not call again. (Some will note this on their territory maps.) The Bible says that a "mild answer turns away wrath." It is still good advice today.

In dealing with holiday matters, it is important to explain that people have different customs and beliefs. One can say that we celebrate Christmas and other holidays because it is just as important to us as your beliefs are to Jehovah's Witnesses. With children, one can arrange other activities for those who don't want to participate. It would be proper to sit down with these (JW)children and ask them not to discuss these things with the other children since it upsets them and you. Most would respect this request.

In many cases, these situations can be defused without stress with a little thought and consideration.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I'm sorry Pahpa,

If you knew what I have dealt with having to do with JW's and their bothersome behavior you would understand why I have no desire to be mild to them. In fact, 95% of them I would stick in a rocket and ship off into space! I do not have to be nice to people who are breaking the law. I have asked them not to come to my house or onto my property. They are trespassing. They are lucky I didn't have them arrested.

Also, children are some of the most zealous when it comes to being pompous about holidays and being right with Jehovah. Jehovahs Witnesses don't feel they have to respect anyones feelings, beliefs, or anything. They think they are above it all because they are Jehovahs Witnesses.

I'm glad you find comfort in the Bible and its advice. Good for you.

Chrystal

• hubert
    hubert

Why Georgia, I forgot to mention...

Congratulations on your new job !!

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit