Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness NEW BOOK

by Stacey 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Stacey
    Stacey

I had dinner tonight with a woman that I knew in my old congregation growing up. She was an elder's wife, and I was friends with her daughter. She has written a new book that is being published by Prometheus Books and is being released in January 2002. She will be doing upcoming radio interviews to publicize the book, and I'll post more information when I have it. It was so good to see her after not having any contact with her in 11 years. She's a fabulous woman with a great story to tell for all of us....

Here is the book information from the publisher:

[b]Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness - Escape from the Watchtower Society[b]

This tale of mind control, the use of fear to manuipulate vulnerable people, and final escape from a suffocating cult environment is a revealing expose of a secretive contemporary sect, as well as a true psychological thriller. Diane Wilson spent twenty-five precious years of her life, first becoming indoctrinated by the dogma of the Watchtower Society, and then struggling to free herself from its pervasive, intimidating clutches. In this porbing, brutally honest assessment, Wilson describes how a childhood of psychological abuse and lack of self-confidence rendered her vulnerable to the seductive doctirnes of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Yet as time went on and the society demanded rigid control over every aspect of her life, even her every thought, Wilson began to rebel. Her gradual awakening, at first unconsciously as a caring therapist helped her rediscover her true self, is a fascinating story.

What she reveals about the goings-on within the closed Watchtower Society will shock the average person who assumes the polite, well-dressed people who pass out leaflets are much like any other conservative religious group. Wilson contends that membership in the Jehovah's Witnesses requires obedience bordering on psychological enslavement and the complete supression of individuality. Her engrossing memoir will be of great interest to former Witnesses, students of cult phenomena, and anyone who has ever had contact with Jehovah's Witnesses.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Stacey,

Thanks for the info on the new book.

When it's published, will you be able to give us details of availability, like where from, and how much?

Thanks. Glad to 'hear' from ya!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Tina
    Tina

Hi stacey!
    I get the Prometheus book catalog. I will most certainly be looking for this book! Thanks for letting us know.regards,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Thx for the advance notice. I know I will add it to my collection. I have been thinking about writing my own book, less about my personal life as a witness and more from a novelist's approach.

Anyway, that's all good news!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

U.R.

Go for it. Get the Maximus man to redact it. He is great at it.

here seems to be a rash of books coming out lately that are really taking an all out jab at the WTS. There names escape me right at the moment.

I look forward to reading this book Stacey - Thanks.

hawk

• peterstride
    peterstride

Wow...sounds like another must read book for some of us x-JWs!

Peter

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Hey Hawk-ster:

Funny, I have been e-mailing Max and I haven't received a response yet. I hope he will venture out of seclusion soon and make a thrilling comeback.

• Vienna
    Vienna

That's wonderful news--praise to God for another awakening!

I'm curious Stacey, you say you hadn't had contact with her in 11 years--how did you two get in contact with each other now? Did she find you or did you find her? Also, since you were friends with her daughter, what's her standing? Is she in or out of the WTS?

• Stacey
    Stacey

Vienna,

I found her name on an ex-jw list that is posted on the internet. I have found a few long lost ex-jw friends there. It's a nice resource.

She had two children, who are both out of the religion now and living normal, well adjusted lives. One was my age (28) the other was a little older.

Stacey

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

Where can I get a copy???????!!!!!

Joanne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit