Teen bullied to death

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Bullying is a terrible thing. I too would always suggest fighting to show you are not easy prey if it's safe to do so. By this I mean, don't try and take on 5 people outside the school ('cause the violence used now can be totally disproportionate) but if you have a 1-to-1 in the school that may not be a bad thing.

I had a fight in class once after being bullied for a while ... it's surprising what the adrenelin and suppressed rage will do for you when you need it - I punched his lights out and he smashed face-first into the blackboard that the teacher was writing on!

After that I had the "rough" crowd at school congratulating me and patting me on the back (I got chants of "Rocky Rocky" LOL)

The apalling thing now is that some schools expel the victims of bullying because it is the easier option. If my kids are ever seriously bullied then those involved will discover the hard way that there is always someone bigger ...

• M.J.
    M.J.

Tragic. I heard that here in the states people can now sue the parents of bullies, and charge them with aggravated assaut, etc. Not sure if that's true.

I am surprised I never had any problems. I was definitely a loner in school but no one ever hassled me.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

When I was in high school a guy (non-JW) in same grade (11th) got verbally picked on all the time, especially by the jocks. He was short, probably weighed all of 90 lbs...soaking wet, and other charatericstics that made him ripe for being picked on.

One day in gym class the PE instructor announces that today the local karate club will be putting on a demo. The club walks out. The last guy to walk out is the guy who gets picked on constantly. This of course picques everyones interest. Each member is introduced and their belt rating is stated. The picked on guy has a black belt. When this is mentioned one of the jocks who picked on this guy is sitting behind me, upon hearing that he mutters in a whisper, "oh $hit..."

Demos commence and mr. black belt is impressively breaking boards, which probably sounds like breaking bones to the guy behind me.

Needless to say never a cruel word was uttered again to this guy. Some of the jocks when they passed him in the hallway actually would address him as Mr. _____.

• daystar
    daystar

This pissed me off too. Kudos to you, delilah, big kudos, for taking the stand you did for your son and for allowing him to take his.

My son has yet to deal with bullies at his school. Then again, he's only five. But I've already taken preemptive steps. I've told him that under no circumstances is he to start a fight with anyone, nor to bully anyone. But if someone messes with him, bullies him, pushes him, he absolutely has my permission to knock his block off and I will defend him with the staff and administration.

I didn't go through a whole lot of bullying in school. But I saw a lot of it and felt helpless (trained to be a sheepish, meek, "turn-the-other-cheek" kind of guy as a JW) to do anything about it. Once, in 7th grade, I got into a fight with a guy for picking on another Witness friend of mine, but that's about the extent of it.

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

I was a bully a long time ago in the sixth and seventh grade. I would pretty much test anyone, boy or girl, and if they showed apprehension or fear, they became my "toys of torment". This one kid's older sister came up to the school to confront me. She told me off pretty good. But the next day I was on a payback mission. Got suspended for busting the kid's lip. A couple months later when his father was picking him up, (me and some other kids had been taunting him about his dad's beatup car) We all yelled something mean as they pulled off. I think his dad had been itching for a reason, the car SCREECHED to a halt and this angry big dude came marching. When we took off, he chased us through the school, and out the back. When he went back in the school, we stayed outside. A couple days later we had to all sit down with our parents and his parents. We stretched the truth saying he had been talking about our cars. In the end nothing happened as far as discipline. We left him alone because the teachers were watchful.

In the eight grade I always picked on one girl in particular I had a crush on. It was my way of interacting with her without feeling powerless.

Looking back, I can see that alot of my anger issues had to do with the fact that I was bullied in the fourth and fifth grade, and also treated like an animated pile of dirt in the KH. I hated to see people smile. Whenever I saw some happy looking kid I instantly wanted to show them my world.

Highschool was a whole new ballgame, ninth grade dudes were perceived by all as losers. All us losers became good friends and we rose to prominence as the school years went by. I was much happier as a teenager. I had many good friends, and eventually found it easy to be friendly

Having real friends seems to have fixed most of my social problems. And I've learned that the ladies are the best friends/companions a guy can have,

It's definitely a tragedy when a child commits suicide,

So sad,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit