F***ing cult!

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest social family

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ever since I told my two sisters that I was 'inactive' they've shown no interest in me - that was over five years ago and I mean no interest. I know other posters here have complained about family members trying to bring them back to the 'Truth' but honestly I would quite welcome it. I mean, they're both pioneering and happy to knock on the doors of complete strangers but they never knock on mine.

What are they thinking of when they think of me? They know I've stopped attending meetings, field service and all the rest of it so surely I'm going to die at Armageddon. Why aren't they trying to save me? I miss them.

This sucks sometimes.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yup, it sux.

I've a brother who is an Elder in an adjacent congregation. He's visited the local Hall to give talks, but never once bothered his ass to so much as phone in nearly five years.

Gotta love all that love, huh?

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Maybe they know you well enough to know that they can't change your mind or spur you to action?

But really why does it have to be all about religion and why does it have to be their responsibility to "take an interest in you?"

Five years?! give me a break. Get off your duff and take an interest in their lives. Send them some cards or a letter or flowers ---and leave out all of the religious aspects. Go and visit them and don't make them uncomfortable by bringing up JW stuff at all or calling attention to your inactivity.

Develop your familial relations and give them a reason to want to be in your life that doesn't make them choose between you and their faith.

stop whining about it and do something...

-Eduardo

• Scully
    Scully

nic:

Why aren't they trying to save me?

I have been asking myself this about my own JW relatives for over a decade. They've known all along that we stopped going to meetings, and not ONE WORD of encouragement to try to "restore my faith" or Reactivate™ me, not even for the sake of my kids.

It's not like I "left" intentionally... At first, it was more like I fell (got pushed actually) overboard rather than jumped ship. But not once did they even TRY to throw me a life preserver or bring me back aboard. It was almost as though they shrugged their shoulders and wanted to see whether I would sink or start swimming after their boat, and then got back to rowing the boat so as not to fall behind Jehovah's Chariot™.

What it's done for me is made me realize what an utterly selfish group they are - to leave their own flesh and blood behind, rather than risk being "contaminated" so they can have the Paradise™ all to themselves.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have a daughter ,& a pioneer Grandaughter who knocks on many doors to recruit .But my Grand-daughter wrote me a letter after I sent her $100.00 & told me she dont like the way I lead my life. ( but the money was O.K. I guess) but my daughter hasnt spoken to me in about 7 years now>> Boo Hoo

But the Dec issue of the WT says if anyone believes in the Trinity they are the Anti Christ. So now you know who I AM!!!!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hey Eduardo, get bent! You don't know my personal situation or the amount of effort I put into keeping my family relationships alive.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Get bent, haahhahaa never heared that one before, must be a southern thing.

I know exactly how you feel though and its not nice, atleast you can see the hypocrisy this way though.

• Scully
    Scully

Eduardo:

But really why does it have to be all about religion and why does it have to be their responsibility to "take an interest in you?"

Well, considering that JWs believe that they are the ones who completely fulfill Jesus' words at John 13:34, 35, isn't the onus on them to prove that they are his disciples by showing love? Aren't they the ones who are supposed to be more Christian than everyone else.

Five years?! give me a break. Get off your duff and take an interest in their lives. Send them some cards or a letter or flowers ---and leave out all of the religious aspects. Go and visit them and don't make them uncomfortable by bringing up JW stuff at all or calling attention to your inactivity.

Develop your familial relations and give them a reason to want to be in your life that doesn't make them choose between you and their faith.

What makes you think that some of us haven't tried to do that? I know that I have... I've bent over backward trying to maintain family relationships, only to have the JW relatives scuttlebutt those efforts at every opportunity. Do you know what it's like to send photos of your kids to their aunts and uncles and grandparents, and send anniversary cards and gifts, and try to keep the lines of communication open, only to discover that you have a new niece or nephew a month or so after the fact because they didn't even consider you worthy to know about the pregnancy? Or have you ever been invited to a non-JW relative's wedding, only to have the JW relatives make a colossal STINK about the seating arrangements because they don't want to be at the same table as you at the reception, so they can tell themselves they aren't "eating with" you? Have you ever found out about a "family" gathering after the fact, because they didn't want to associate with you, even though there are non-JW relatives there who drink excessively, smoke, and otherwise have a lifestyle that JWs would disapprove of? All of those things have happened to me, and it's like a backhanded slap across the face, in light of all the energy I've spent trying to maintain a relationship with them and preserve the peace and the "familial relations".

I don't think I'm the only one whose JW relatives behave like a$$holes.

• carla
    carla

Isn't it strange that they will spend time with complete strangers discussing things but not with family members? My husband doesn't try to get me in or kids for that matter, in fact he won't even discuss anything anymore!! weirdos.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The only thing I could say is that you could allways try to send love their way. It could be a card, a phone call, anything. It sucks being the one that is rejected, but at least you know you are doing your part. Just let them know you miss them, don't say anything about the religion. It may take a long time (even years) but I think eventually they would be moved to at least do something.

Edit: just checked out the little 'get bent' quote going on above. Just wanted to say I'm not coming at you from that angle. If you are doing everything you can, then you have tried your best. And at that I will agree with you, cults suck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit