Trouble in Paradise?

by Pahpa 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I'm fascinated by the early history of the Watchtower organization. C.T.Russell was an interesting person. He had his strong points and weaknesses. Lately, I've wondered if his marital problems with his wife, Maria, had anything to do with his move from Pittsburg to Brooklyn. According to James Penton (Apocalypse Delayed) Russell started to have serious problems with Maria in 1894. By 1906 it led to a legal separation. The courts in Pa. gave Maria favorable decisions for support. Russell resisted by claiming he had no assets left. (All had been turned over to the Watchtower.) In 1909, Russell moved his operations to Brooklyn, NY. Was this to get out from the jurisdiction of the courts in Pa.? What do you think?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am learning more and more about CT Russell, that nothing would surprise me. The 1913 WT (7/1/13 p. 200) said that the WT would send (free of charge) the cure for surface cancer that was discovered by some doctor. Russell's teachings included the pyramids being God's Stone Bible and the discovery that the universe doesn't revolve around the Earth or our Sun, but that it revolves around the star, Alcyone, central of the Pleadic stars- making that location the place where Jehovah lives.

I will say this- IMO, Russell was the genuine thing, a whacko with a publishing company. I think he really believed all the crap he taught, and would try to keep his money tied up in the WT for the sake of Humanity, not personal gain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit