Happy Feet

by becca1 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

The animation was outstanding but I thought the plot ambled, focusing too much on the singing and dancing for what seemed like a really long time, and then dumped the environmental message on us before ending the movie. I was surprised by two things: my daughter cried during this movie -- she NEVER cries at movies, not since she was 4 and saw "Airbud" -- and I didn't. Hell, I cry at previews! But this movie just didn't grab me the way it could have. It looked like someone saw "March of the Penguins" and decided to animate it.

Jackson (10 1/2) and his friend Greg really liked it, though.

Nina

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I just saw the movie this evening. Went with an ex-jw friend of mine. We both cried several times!! (One of us even sobbed a couple of times. )

OK, now don't spoil it for us, but does the df'd penquin pull a RichieRich, and bring the hammer down on the totalitarian penguins?

Actually, I thought about Richie many times during this movie. Many times. In many ways.

-Aude.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Are there penguin elders with a book of instructions that a rebellious teenage penguin steals and puts on the internet? Just thinking of Richie.

W.Once

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Are there penguin elders with a book of instructions that a rebellious teenage penguin steals and puts on the internet? Just thinking of Richie.

Well... There *are* penguin elders (and they are referred to as "elders") and there *is* a committee meeting and the teenage penguin *is* a sort of rebel/independent and he *is* put out from the community and he misses his mom.

I don't want to give away much of the plot. But I really did see alot of Richie in the main character. (Even his size and height was an identifying characteristic.)

-Aude.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Ok, if a dub sees this movie, does the message reinforce their way of thinking?

I might opt out of taking the family to this one...

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME
    I might opt out of taking the family to this one...

LOL

bczar

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Ok, if a dub sees this movie, does the message reinforce their way of thinking?

Nope. In fact, maybe just the opposite. There are lots of scenes that you could discuss to show how damaging the indoctrination really was. Potentially fatal.

-Aude.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ok, I saw it too. Too many songs for my taste and it was sappy. Of course it was for kids and I think the 6-10 year olds would like most of it. It does parallel the whole DF thing. That was striking. I think I could have waited for the DVD and been just as happy.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit