Nathan Knorr Holding "Brother Knorr": Memory Lane

by compound complex 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good Morning Cabasilas,

Thank you for you reply. Now I remember! What stands out regarding your "millions" comment is exaggeration and incorrect information. A woman's weight gain after marriage (at which time she is free to ....) is due to her being filled with 'good things from her husband.' That is as frank as I can get, but I am in earnest!

I too lived at 107, with seven other newboys in a converted Gilead classroom. We all got along pretty well. But since the hallways were always active with Gilead students et al, we often got a full view of the "great outdoors" and they of us in our underwear when a fellow roommate would swing the door wide open coming or going. Never a discreet entrance or departure! We had really nice, brand new furniture made in the shop. Later we were moved to Orange Street into an old Brownstone, I believe it's called. Old but quaint with a nice view of a garden court.

My departure was a year before you arrived. I attended Kings County Congregation, and on foot, with no elevator assistance required, we arrived in due course after an often hasty exeunt from our room. A senior Bethelite would sit in back and note our attendance. Non attendance was frowned upon. When later on some of us joined the French Congregation, it was an entirely different world. We became fluent in a matter of weeks, depending how much we already knew (some brave souls knew NO French). No official or regular meeting place at the very first. We would go very early on the subway, pick up sound equipment at some brother's apartment, and transport it via baby carriage to a civic hall and set up---chairs, lectern, sound system, etc. If we didn't follow through, no meeting. It was great fun and our then-perceived sacred service, but it was exhausting. Eventually we got to share KHs with English-speaking folk, but it was still very hard work. The growth was phenomenal. Eventually we put on a district convention, sharing a stadium with the Spanish-speaking friends. At opposite ends of the stadium all that we shared, program-wise, was the songs. One day we ended about ten minutes before the other group and poor Brother X had to string out his closing prayer until the music came on. Some brothers could easily fill that vacuum with their lengthy prayers!

I have no regrets my time spent there. I only wish, however, that I might have brought all those dear people who listened and joined the real Good News of the Christ. God, in His mercy, knows His own. I'll leave it to Him.

Thanx again,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit