A NEW thread for ALL Atheistic ex-dubs---

by gordon d 20 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Kid-A:I see you're proselytising again...

• Free
    Free

God never had a beginning and never has an end ?Jesus walked on water ? Daniel in the lions den ? Those three dudes Nebuchadnezzar tossed into the furnace ? Two of every creature on earth in a ark ? What about the insects ? ARE KIDDING ME ! No way . Its all one big story that people have been Fuc...ing up for centuries. Kind of like when you have a line of people and you start at one end with a story and by the end of the line its a twisted version. Only the story was bullshit to begin with. That's what's in my head right now. No offense to any who still think those things were/are possible, but to logically think about it, now that I look back it seems kind of silly. but believe what you want to believe ,Aliens, Santa Claus, Jesus Christ, Budda, The Marshall Tucker Band, stange feelings in Sedona,AZ. but don't play in the oven if you can't take the heat.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hi Under, I hope this answers your question: I recently started a thread, directed towards athiest to get the attention of a couple of people that I "thought" were behaving poorly towards another person. Irony of Ironies, I ended doing the same thing that I had accused them of. The whole topic went a different direction and I ended up getting exactly what I deserved. So, I posted this new thread as a half-sarcastic/half-sincere way to express the lesson learned. Is this my ministry???? I'm happy to share my story with anyone that's interested... even if their only interest is to start a debate.... (God help me, I love a good debate too) but it is NOT my intent to forcibly convert anyone... If I ever do, I know (hope) that a freind will call me on it. There does seem to be a disturbing trend. It seems that some people will offer their support (or their silence) towards any other person's quest for knowledge or spirituality. Unless that quest is directed towards Judeo/Christian Gods. With all the damage that has been done in the name of these Gods...Who could blame them. I still don't think that its good form and that it is not appropriate to base an opinion on God (whether you beleive in him or not) based upon what a religious group told you about him. I would encourage anyone that may have the desire to look for the real God to start with a clean slate. Other than that, I love chatting with my new friends here and having an outlet for my attempts at humor.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I posted this new thread as a half-sarcastic/half-sincere way to express the lesson learned.

If you recognize this about yoruself, why did you start another thread? It's still self-serving, regardless of the half-sincere part.

It would have been a perfect time to lay low and let the apoplectic nature of your last conclusion die an easy death. But you still have the need to make sure everyone knows you have a legitimate viewpoint.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hi Daniel,

If you recognize this about yoruself, why did you start another thread? It's still self-serving, regardless of the half-sincere part.

It was an admission of my foolishness.. so, Yes, it was partially self-serving. But some of my posts are not... is that a bad thing?

I started a new post to let the old one (as you said) "die" I was not re-igniting the same debate by answering under's question.

I made a sincere apology on the last post, of the old thread. I made this thread title similar to the last one in the hopes that the same people might see it (in case the missed the apology) and hopefully not think of me as a bad guy.... That is one of my other weaknesses, I don't like to be Un-liked....

Oh Man!...... My Therapist is not gonna' be pleased about ANY of this!

It would have been a perfect time to lay low and let the apoplectic nature of your last conclusion die an easy death. But you still have the need to make sure everyone knows you have a legitimate viewpoint.

Yeah, I WOULD like that, very much...... Did you think it worked?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Maybe, but I think it just made everyone take you a little less seriously.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Maybe, but I think it just made everyone take you a little less seriously.

LMAO!!! ...... Yeah... I think I could hang out with you!

• Gregor
    Gregor

a play in one act:

(lights come up on two men setting across from each other at a table. On the left is Gordon D. On the right is the Kool Aid man. Gordon is gesturing earnestly..)

Gordon: "I am saying that an inexplicable change occurred during my search for God....some refer to this as being 'born again'...'seeing the light'...or becoming 'one with God'...(as these things are being said, Kool Aid man is nodding as if understanding and at the same time slowly moving his chair away from the table)...I would never have believed it until it happened to me...people who say one becomes a new creature are right!..."

Kool Aid man: "Hey, that's cool, very interesting...(he looks at his watch) listen, Gordy, I just remembered, I've got to get going, see a man about a dog..."

Gordon: (a look of ecstasy on his face, one can almost imagine his eyes are spinning pinwheels as his voice rises)..."Christ came in human form and ultimately acted as a sacrifice for a new covenant between God and mankind!...the more searching that I did, THE MORE SENSE IT MADE!!...no, not to Western or even Eastern thinking, but in EQUILIBRIUM AT A HIGHER LEVEL..." (at this, Kool Aid man has stood and knocked his chair over never breaking eye contact with Gordon and has begun slowly backing away)

Kool Aid man : "that's cool man...hey, I really gotta go, maybe we can get together another time..."

Gordon: " wait, DON'T GO! there's more!..."

Kool Aid man: ( backing towards the door, trips and recovers).."sorry man, I really gotta go...(gropes for doorknob behind his back, opens door and runs)

Gordon: (looks at open door for a moment then shakes his head sadly) "another pitiful Athiest...(looks up at ceiling)...I tried to help him, I really did."

lights go down

• Terry
    Terry

Fair enough Terry, but one cant help but wonder if you are equally open to the possibility that leprechauns, Santa Clause, The Great Pumpkin and Peter the Rabbit exist? There is as much evidence for these literary creations as there is for god, also a literary creation and social construction.

Given that you are cognizant that the psychological vacuum you feel after giving up the belief in god is, at its core, an emotional rather than logical reaction, I cant help but wonder why one would bother to seek out "evidence" for a hypothetical being? Worse, why one would "read as much religious literature" as one can, given that these subjective reports can not and will not ever prove the case either way? There either is a god, or there is not. The middle ground is simply a state of willful denial.

Well, it's like this. I LOVED JEHOVAH! Whether he existed or not. Isn't that peculiar? I loved my teddy bear too. I talked to both of them. They "existed" for me.

Intellectually, I know what all this is really about. Emotionally, there is a place set at the dinner table with an empty chair which is a cloying reminder.

An atheist likes to get over it and move on. I'm already over it and have moved on. But, whenever I go into Jehovah's old room and look at his toys and baseball glove I get a lump in my throat now that he's gone for good.

Get it? I miss the "talks" we had and the thrilling feeling of absolute certainty.

I know there ain't nobody up there. I just liked thinking there was.

That's all there is to it.

I told you it was intellectually dishonest.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    If god wants me he can ring my doorbell; he knows my address. (Now watch two publishers arrive and offer me the Watchtower!

Naw, that would just prove that satan reads these forums too...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit