2 Pet. 3:10 "earth and the works in it will be discovered"?? or burned up?

by M.J. 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's the NWT rendering of the verse:

(2 Peter 3:10) 10 Yet Jehovah’s day will come as a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a hissing noise, but the elements being intensely hot will be dissolved, and earth and the works in it will be discovered.

Other translations say the earth will "burn up".

NKJ: But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

YLT: and it will come -- the day of the Lord -- as a thief in the night, in which the heavens with a rushing noise will pass away, and the elements with burning heat be dissolved, and earth and the works in it shall be burnt up.

same goes for every other translation I've found.

The word in question, katakaio according to the lexicons I've seen only point to the meaning of: burn & consume by fire.

Where did the NWT get "discovered" from?

• carla
    carla

bttt

• TheListener
    TheListener

I don't have my critical analysis of the text of the NT handy right now, but as I recall, two early MSS have the Greek word for discovered and not katakaio or burned up.

I will check as soon as I have an opportunity and provide verification and detail or apologies.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I found this in the meantime from propadeutic.com:

• 2 Peter 3:10 - The text is confused in the last word of the verse. In some mss. the earth and its works will be burned up. In one they will melt. In some they are destroyed. In some they will not be found. In some they will be found. In one they will be found destroyed. The reading found seems most able to explain the rise of the others, and is meaningful if understood as exposed, laid bare, or possibly found deserving of judgment. Most translations have burned up, and AAT and William have the similar melt. Lamsa is alone in choosing not found. Among those choosing found are NWT, NIV, NAB, NRSV, REB, CEV, GW, NLT1, ISV, NET, ESV, TNIV, MSG, HCSB, and NLT2. GNT has the unlikely reading vanish (similar Moffatt), and here the NIrV is paraphrased beyond recognition�perhaps to avoid the question altogether.
  • Will Power
    Will Power

10 But will come [the] day of [the]Lord as a thief in which the heavens with rushing sound will pass away and [the] elements burning will be dissolved and [the] earth and the in it works will be discovered 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. this is the interlinear greek english new testament. Nestle • Marshall

• TheListener
    TheListener

and this from web.ovc.edu

• TheListener
    TheListener

and this from web.ovc.edu

• TheListener
    TheListener

ok I can't seem to post the information. Here is the link:

http://web.ovc.edu/terry/tc/lay272pt.htm

It seems that the WTS may be correct.

• TheListener
    TheListener

net.bible.org:

8 tc One of the most difficult textual problems in the NT is found in v. 10. The reading e??e??seta? ( Jeureqhsetai ), which enjoys by far the best support ( ? B K P 0156 vid 323 1241 1739 txt pc) is nevertheless so difficult a reading that many scholars regard it as nonsensical. (NA 27 lists five conjectures by scholars, from Hort to Mayor, in this text.) As R. Bauckham has pointed out, solutions to the problem are of three sorts: (1) conjectural emendation (which normally speaks more of the ingenuity of the scholar who makes the proposal than of the truth of the conjecture, e.g., changing one letter in the previous word, ???a [ erga ] becomes ???a [ arga ] with the meaning, “the earth and the things in it will be found useless”); (2) adoption of one of several variant readings (all of which, however, are easier than this one and simply cannot explain how this reading arose, e.g., the reading of Ì 72 which adds ???µe?a [ luomena ] to the verb – a reading suggested no doubt by the threefold occurrence of this verb in the surrounding verses: “the earth and its works will be found dissolved”; or the simplest variant, the reading of the Sahidic mss , ??? [ ouc ] preceding ???e??seta? – “will not be found”); or (3) interpretive gymnastics which regards the text as settled but has to do some manipulation to its normal meaning. Bauckham puts forth an excellent case that the third option is to be preferred and that the meaning of the term is virtually the equivalent of “will be disclosed,” “will be manifested.” (That this meaning is not readily apparent may in fact have been the reason for so many variants and conjectures.) Thus, the force of the clause is that “the earth and the works [done by men] in it will be stripped bare [before God].” In addition, the unusualness of the expression is certainly in keeping with the author’s style throughout this little book. Hence, what looks to be suspect because of its abnormalities, upon closer inspection is actually in keeping with the author’s stylistic idiosyncrasies. The meaning of the text then is that all but the earth and men’s works will be destroyed. Everything will be removed so that humanity will stand naked before God. Textually, then, on both external and internal grounds, e??e??seta? commends itself as the preferred reading.

• Will Power
    Will Power

It looks like the word discovered tho, in JW terms has been misused. wording English sentences with the out of sequence Greek. Nothing will be hidden, nothing that is old will survive.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit