DA'ed by actions?

by SB 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SB
    SB

I have a question, for any ex-elders, ex-CO's, PO's, etc...what is the process when someone is DA'ed or DF'ed w/o an actual JC ....

SB

• blondie
    blondie

DA'd by your actions not requiring a JC:

1) Joining another religion

2) Joining a military organization

3) Having a blood transfusion

"becoming part of a secular organization the objective of which is contrary to the Bible...(compare Revelation 19:17-21; Isaiah 2:4)

• girasole
    girasole

Several years ago I applied for a job with the local YMCA. At that point I hadn't attended meetings for almost a year. My mother told me that should I accept a job with that organization that the elders would see that as a public denunciation (sp?) of my faith and I'd be disfellowshipped on the spot.

Interestingly enough - several people had taken classes offered by the YMCA - so they'll support the Y if it serves their interests but won't work or volunteer for them. I wasn't offered the job so that was a moot issue.

• Scully
    Scully

They are also moving toward DAing you without a JC if you are seen or known to be doing something contrary to JW rules.

Mr Scully had that happen to him, although we didn't find out about it until almost a year after the fact.

It really doesn't matter anymore anyway, because they no longer announce whether you are being DFd or DAd, just that you are "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses".

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

It all depends on the circumstances.

bczar

• sir82
    sir82

My take is that "DA by actions" is nothing more than a CYA for legal reasons.

If they take assertive action, by DF-ing someone for joining the military, or accepting a transfusion, or whatever, it's conceivable that in some country's legal system, that would constitute some sort of illegal act, and open up the way for loss of freedom or (perhaps more important) loss of money.

By saying "by taking X action, Joe Publisher disassociates himself", it moves the instigation of the action from the organization to the individual. I.e, "the publisher did it to himself", rather than "the organization did it to him".

It is of course a distinction without a difference, but to the 99.9% of the world who don't know anything above JW terminology or practices, "disassciation" means, "ah, he just quit as a member", as though he quit a country club or video club.

• Scully
    Scully
    It all depends on the circumstances.

How true. The WTS can be allied with the UN (an organization that is - in their opinion - in opposition to God's purposes) for more than 10 years, and it's not considered DAing by their actions; but if a JW goes to the YMCA, pays the membership fees, and uses the facilities, it is considered DAing by their actions.

It all depends on the circumstances, and on whether you are the hypocritical leadership or a misguided follower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit