best way to discuss abuse scandal?

by truthsearcher 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Hi y'all: I will be talking with some Jws soon and I want to bring up the child molestation scandal. What are your recommendations for this discussion so they might actually listen? I know they are closed minded but how did it make you sit up and take notice? thanks all for any advice!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I doubt they will listen. They are told that stories of child abuse being rife within the wts are blown out of proportion by the media.

You could do some research on silentlambs, and bring up some of the documented cases, which they would find it difficult to dispute, and there have been a few in the media lately, but it's not easy to get jws to listen to stuff like that, so good luck.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I might tackle it from the angle that it shows just how much JWs in general revere the society way too much. In case after case, the pattern is that people are more fearful about bringing reproach upon the organization than they are of ensuring the congregations are protected from abusers. When elders/leaders are in doubt, it is always safer to err on the side which will protect the org rather than to protect the accusers. This is not necessarily willful. The fact that the reputation of the organization is so closely linked to the reputation of Jehovah himself in the minds of Witnesses is no doubt why this happens...and is a root cause of why the pattern has repeated itelf countless times.

Compare this mentality to all the situations where OT prophets identified problems within the nation of Israel. Nathan, for example, did not hesitate to condemn David. Was there any indication that Nathan felt such actions would reflect badly upon Jehovah himself?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I agree. I doubt you'll get very far. I tried this several times (it didn't work but it was nice to see no one able to give me an answer):

Jehovah's Witnesses say they have the best child abuse policy of any religion.They base this boast on the 'two witness rule' which basically decrees a child abuse victim must have two eyewitnesses to 'prove' their rape actually happened.

I have several questions regarding this rule.

(1) Please name one scripture in the Bible in which Jehovah, one of his prophets, the Mosaic law, Jesus, or one of the apostles, dictates that a child abuse victim must present two eyewitnesses to prove their abuse. Just one scripture is all I ask. Realize I'm not talking about a dispute between brothers, I'm referring specifically to the assault and/or rape of an innocent child.

(2) Why did Jehovah made very specific provision for a woman who was raped , working in the field and away from any eyewitnesses, and yet not make the same provision for a child? Jesus said that anyone who harmed a child would be better off having a millstone tied around their neck and thrown into the sea. Surely Jehovah, the One who sees all (even things hidden behind closed doors), and Jesus' Father and Creator, would know that children are not sexually abused in front of other adults who can bear witness. Why then did Jehovah give an adult woman, who does not have an eyewitness, a provision and understanding, but did not do the same for a defenseless and innocent child?

(3) Why do Jehovah's Witnesses not recognize the courts of law as a second witness? When one of Jehovah's Witnesses is convicted of child abuse, the elders will not disfellowship that one if the victim cannot present 2 eyewitnesses. If, however, the offender is tried in a court of law, and convicted, why is that conviction not considered a second witness?

(4) In the "Flock" book, elders are instructed that they may accept the testimony of unbelievers. Please show me the scriptural basis whereby Jehovah puts conditions on the two witnesses to child abuse. Please show the scripture whereby Jehovah gives his followers leeway to accept or deny testimony based on acceptance of Jehovah alone (i.e., whether a member of Israel or a Christian).

(5) In the "Flock" book, elders are instructed that they may accept the testimony of minor children. Please show me the scriptural basis whereby Jehovah puts conditions on the two witnesses to child abuse. Please show the scripture whereby Jehvovah gives his followers leeway to accept or deny testimony based on age alone.

(6) Do you believe every single account of child abuse amongst Jehovah's Witnesses is false? If not, then do you believe one of Jehovah's Witnesses has molested a child? If you believe so, then please explain what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, or have done, to correct these errors? Realize of course, that Jehovah again and again provided correction for the nation of Israel when that spirit inspired organization made errors. Therefore, what is the current spirit directed organization doing, or has done, to correct errors made regarding child abuse?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit