Do you need God?

by daystar 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

When I first left the Witnesses 15 years ago, I still believed in the JW God, Jehovah, as the real and only "true" God and that all the others were not real. They were real in that people worshipped them and as a distraction from "True Worship", but to me, they were simply imaginary entities.

No other gods actually existed. There was Jehovah, Satan, and the angels and demons. The rest were all sideshows created by Satan to lead people astray from the worship of the "true" God Jehovah. This is what I was taught and this is what I believed, as completely as I believed anything at all.

But, Jehovah had never really helped me with anything. I prayed and I prayed as sincerely and devoutly as a person could. I was a good Witness. I commented regularly, went out in service... nothing... Anything that I achieved, I ultimately achieved on my very own.

So, what was the God of the Witnesses to me? This was a god that never actually spoke to me, through Christ (who never spoke to me either), or personally, in my heart. I was never one to expect to hear an actual voice. I assumed a certain degree of subtlety. I was told that he at least spoke to us all through the "spirit-directed" organization. So, what did he say to me? He told me that life on this earth sucked right now and it was all our faults. He told me that I was born in sin, evil, imperfect, and that I had to follow His (their) rules in order to hope to make it into the paradisaical New System, complete with a theocratic government, governed by Jesus Christ for the thousand year reign, until the final battle, after which governorship would be transferred to Jehovah.

The conversations He had with me were one way, through the WBTS, and all he ever did was tell me what a bad person I was ("original sin") and how I was expected to spend every available hour of my life devoted to His service, which of course meant servitude to the WBTS.

I eventually discovered (after leaving the religion) that the Jehovah they believed in and taught about, while bearing some resemblance to the God (Adonai, ha-shem, YHVH) of the bible, was not, in fact, the same entity. The Jehovah they described in their publications was simply not the same entity.

Just imagine having a person described to you all your life, only to meet them and find that they are nothing like what you were taught to expect!

I thought on this and thought on this and thought on this. The god I was raised to believe in was nothing more than a mental construct formed by the WBTS!!

Now, I could have discovered for myself a version of Jehovah I believe in. And in fact, I did for a time. But I kept coming back to the realization that it was still just a mental construct which likely had little bearing on reality. I considered what I knew, or thought I knew, of people in my life. I realized that I really only knew about them what was contained within my mind about them. To other people, they were different people. I found this true about not just people, but with everything I could conceive of. The image I held in my mind of a thing, or in my heart, was simply not the thing in itself.

So, this being true to me, I thought, "why do we feel such a drive to believe in God?" I searched within myself for this. And what I found was that in my heart of hearts I wanted to believe in God, some God, some ultimate Supreme Being, and in some hope in some sort of afterlife... because I was afraid.

I was afraid of dying. I was afraid of the unknown. I was afraid that there may not, after all, be any meaning to life. And so, I considered this, deeply. Why did I feel such fear? Well, I was taught this fear. It is not necessarily an innate thing as many would have told me. Why should I be afraid that this life is all that I may have, that I must forge my own path, that I must be self-reliant, ultimately?

And several things occurred to me. Who might benefit from my fear? Well, any religious "authority" would, certainly. Also, it occurred to me that I was being kept from maturing into an adult by relegating power to a god that, ultimately belongs to me. Blasphemy!! No, not at all. Assuming God is omnipotent, omniscient, etc., how could He be jealous of my taking ownership of the full power of being, simply, Human, which He, after all, gave to Me?

Do you need God? Do any of us need God? Would a god be okay with us worshipping him out of fear?

If there is a God, He's not talking much to me. I'd prefer to worship the full potential such a god infused into each and every one of us as "little gods" than some big bearded guy sitting on some cloud, some "where", doling out law and retribution though some religious "authority", expecting obedience through fear of losing out in some reward which may or may not even exist.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing that.

I fear only fear itself, and love "love" itself

God is like my frontal lobes. Sure I can do without them, but my aim in life would be significantly curtailed to 70 short years...

LT, of the "succinct" class.

• daystar
    daystar

God is like my frontal lobes. Sure I can do without them, but my aim in life would be significantly curtailed to 70 short years...

The assumption is that "with Him" you'll last longer somehow. I prefer to make no such assumptions.

I'm not debating that it is somehow possible that some fragment of my consciousness might survive physical death, I'm just not counting on it, and I'm certainly not going to allow any authority (even a god) to use that to exert control over me.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Does thirst prove the existence of water?

Every society of people throughout history has placed Gods over themselves. They feel a need.

The glory of being a spirit and or a human creation is we can decide not to serve our purpose. Ephesians 1:12

Animals have no choice but to praise their creator.

Personally, I need a God.

bczar

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

If I needed to believe in God than I guess I wouldn't be an atheist.

I find it kinda sad that some people need to believe in something that they don't even know exists for sure. I suppose I'm lucky that I don't.

GBL

• daystar
    daystar

Does thirst prove the existence of water?

Every society of people throughout history has placed Gods over themselves. They feel a need.

Ok, using that logic, do the needs a homosexual person feels prove that homosexuality is okay? Is the need a murderer feels to, you know, murder, proof that it's okay?

(Sorry to mention the two together. Just trying to make a point.)

You're appealing to what you feel is a natural impulse as a sort of proof that "something must be there" when I doubt you would find that such a proof would hold for many, many other things.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I dont need to, but I choose to. And of course the only god I have ever worshipped was Jehovah. I know of nothing else. I cant say I do any type of worship anymore, but that doesnt mean I dont still believe he exists.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME
    do the needs a homosexual person feels prove that homosexuality is okay? Is the need a murderer feels to, you know, murder, proof that it's okay?

It does not prove these actions as O.K. It only proves the existence of those needs.

bczar

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Do you need God?

When I left the WTS, I believed that everyone needed a religion. Over time, I discovered that I didn't need a religion, nor did I need God. I needed to take care of myself regardless of what any God wanted.

• Xirian
    Xirian
    Do you need God? Do any of us need God? Would a god be okay with us worshipping him out of fear?

Personally, I do not feel that one needs a deity to worship. However, I do worship many deities as I am a hard polytheist. I communicate with them as I would communicate with a dear friend. It has taken me many years to get to this point, but it is beneficial for me and my personal spiritual path. I do not claim a religion though.

Even though I believe in Gods, I tend to take a practical point of view towards them. I do not see them visually as I might see a human being. They have no real form. I believe that energy is the key to everything. Therefore, I believe that the deities only have identities because we have placed them on energy that was already here before us. I believe energy would exist without us, but not the deities. I believe that mythology is there to help guide us and that each mythology for whatever culture, is a reflection of the ideals and things that were and are important to that culture. Hope that makes some sort of sense. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and elaborate.

As for god being okay with us worshipping him out of fear, I would say that would be up to your deity that you were worshipping. I know there are many deities that would thrive on that type of energy. There are many who would not. I see the deities as having distinct personalities. As if I was with a friend. Each of my friends need different things from me and I from them. That is how I see the deities. Once you have made a connection with them, I feel that their needs or wants are evident. Generally manifested in some form of energy from you or others. If you don't believe in a deity it goes without saying that it doesn't matter.

I feel that research and knowledge is the key to finding out what you need from a deity and what deity may suit you best. Some people feel that you are chosen by your deities because of some need from them. I feel that ways both are appropriate. I'm sort of going on and on. But I think that your relationship with your deity is what is most important, because after all, this is your own personal spiritual path and no one can really tell you what the deities you worship are going to be able to do for you, or what they want from your. Only you can, IMHO.

~Xirian~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit