Armageddon in the Cold War

by Clam 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clam
    Clam

Growing up in the 60s and 70s, the threat of a potential nuclear war was never too far from my mind, and often in my dreams. In fact it sometimes used to scare the hell out of me. I even remember as a small child playing a game where I had to play catch against a wall. Sometimes I'd say to myself " If I drop it there'll be a nuclear war".

When my older JW sister indoctrinated me at the age of 13 and convinced me it would be Jehovah doing the global destruction bit and not the US and the USSR, strangely enough it was a huge weight of my mind. Bizarrely a perceived, even remote threat of global destruction was replaced by a real one, with no guarantees of safe passage through the Tribulation. Can anybody empathise with this? In hindsight the mindset, like so many JW mindsets is hard to understand, even though it was my own.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I grew up in the 60's and 70's as well ,having been born in 1959. The threat of nuclear annihilation receded in my mind once I became interested in the jws in 1981, when I "knew " who was going to do the destroying. It was a comforting thought at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit