Meteor Strike!

by toddy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• toddy
    toddy

Recently we have seen the devastating effects just two planes can cause within a built up area,imagine what the effects would be if a meteor struck this planet.
    My question is,are we taking this threat seriously,is enough money being put into discovering and tracking these meteors?

• Stiffy
    Stiffy

Meteors dont scare me.... ASTERIODS scare me... and not to mention contracting a bad case of hemoriods.. AHHH Ill have nightmares now

• logical
    logical

The thick layer of pollution might burn most of it up and it will hit the local pub and burn that up.

• Gopher
    Gopher

But seriously folks,

They are tracking meteorites, asteroids, etc. This website is not exactly comforting, but here it is: http://users.kua.net/~vnn2/bigrock.htm

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

To get an idea of what an impact might do from a large meteor or worse yet, asteroid simply go rent "Impact" or "Armaggedon" and Hollywood should give you some idea of what will happen in real life.

Statistically, you have better odds of dying by a global asteroid killer than in a plane crash. Now, doesn't that make you feel more safe? There are plenty of real things to worry about than imaginary Armadggedons from ancient writings and magical thinking.

Currently, we are totally screwed if a big asteroid is heading our way, with anything less than years of warning. Even then things would be gloomy for our survival as a species. There are many scientists and astronomers looking for objects in space that intersect Earth's orbit. We have several hundred cataloged but there are potentially well over a thousand unknown's out there. Maybe one of them has your name on it but I hope it is addressed to Bin Laden instead.

Skipper

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Toddy: Yes, if it were a large meteor or small astroid that had demolished the WTC, we would have a different reaction. We could blame some person or group, and our determination would have to be focused differently. In some ways, perhaps we would have been better off fighting blind forces from the cosmos. No one wuld be debating how much money or force we would muster to destory astroids. UNfortunately, that is not the case, and hence the debate will continue, especially if fighting breaks out. - Amazing

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    Meteors dont scare me.... ASTERIODS scare me... and not to mention contracting a bad case of hemoriods.. AHHH Ill have nightmares now

Asteroids striking Hemorrhoids!

THAT's what scares me, Stiffy.

Schweet Dreams

• larc
    larc

Mindchild,

I question your assertion that we have a bigger chance of dying by an asteroid strike than from a plane crash. I my life time, thousands have died from plane crashes and not a single person has died from an asteroid strike. Of course, if a big asteroid does hit us, you can kiss the human race good bye.

• chappy
    chappy

The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Revelation 8:8,9

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hi Lark,

Even though my statement about having a higher chance of getting wiped out by a giant asteroid hitting the Earth sounds pretty sensationalistic I based it on information I read on competent analysis.

To check the odds of getting killed in a plane crash, you can go to this website: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm and see that if you take one flight a year the odds of you dying in a plane crash are 1 in 12.4 million (terrorists not withstanding).

Compare this to the information provided by a NASA study in their website at: http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/reports/spaceguard/sg_2.html#2.4

and I quote a section here:

For the globally catastrophic impact:

Average interval between impacts for total Earth: 500,000 years

Annual probability of impact: 1/500,000

Assumed fatalities from impact: one-quarter of world population

Probability of death for an individual: 1/4

Annual probability of an individuals death: 1/2,000,000

Regardless, I don't feel very lucky and don't plan on taking any flights for a long while.

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit