Care to vent with me?

by patio34 11 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all,

Am aware this is not original. My JW son called yesterday. He pointed out to me how "fragile" everything is, what with the WTC bombing threatening so much in the US and world. And 'how glad' he is that 'he's not part of it.' Huh? Outside of his own vernacular (and mind), how is he not part of the economic results of the bombing? (Rhetorical question, PLEASE don't answer.)

Why do JWs persist in 'witnessing' to someone they KNOW is opposed to their views (i.e., "apostate")? Do they not think that someone who was a dub for 28 years wouldn't know their exact spiel? I know it better than he does.

A related point is JWs who come on this board with very lengthy posts quoting the bible and the WT. I guess they don't realize the people here were dubs for decades and includes ex-elders (and current?), COs, etc.

There never seems to be any new reasoning from the WTS that all of us haven't heard hundreds of times before.
    So, all you active JWs, please recognize that we are not your average householder. Spare us from what we all know as well as, possibly better, than you.

Sigh . . .

Another JW son (who is more reasonable) brought up the emphasis on religion in this incident. I replied that religion in war is ancient, such as when Moses, et al, committed genocide in the name of god. (Tee-hee)

Pat

P.S. This board sure has a lot of interesting topics going. And the posters are top-rate, IMO. M-m-m-m, maybe this post isn't 'erudite' enough? Just kidding!

Have a terrific Sunday!

• Stiffy
    Stiffy

To bad C's cant be S's... If they were, we could say the WTS building was hit by a plane....
    I brought up the subject of possible nuclear catastrophe in the US to a co-worker the other day (A Witness). She said Jehovah would never allow his people to be distroyed like that. I said, yea well last I heard, There are witnesses outside of the US. So even if all the ones here in tha states die, theres still some of his "people" alive. She said, yea but he wouldn't allow his innocent people to die like that! I rolled my eyes and walked off... Later that night at the meeting they mentioned the amount of witnesses that died in the WTC... It was all I could do to hold in my laugh.

• peterstride
    peterstride

After the terrorist attacks, from what I heard, attendance went up at the local Toronto kingdom halls...and I was told that JWs were seeing that as some sort of sign that people were coming to the true religion.

Of course, what JWs don't seem to realize is that any time after an extreme event happens, attendance is up everywhere....the local churches were packed in Toronto, as well as the churches all over the US, from the major urban centres to the ones out in the heartland...and still, somehow, JWs seem not to notice that.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Unfortunately, untill the time that the WT comes out and tells the rank and file JW to not turn in any field service time for internet/discussion board/chatroom hours, we'll have to put up with JW's trying to run roughshod over us.

And you're right Patio...it is VERY arrogant of any JW to just arbitrarily assume they know more than us.

dungbeetle... STILL cleaning up the crap.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Patio..........vent away! Almost all of us have jw's who think *they* can point things out to us....but *we* aren't allowed to point things out to them.

The arrogance of it all! And we know that arrogance - because we used to be just like them. When my grown children "abandoned" The Truth as "renegades" - oh, I wanted them back - I wanted them in The New Order with me! And the only way was to "get back to The Meetings!"

But, alas, they just kinda shrugged me off. Perhaps they didn't feel free to argue with me either (even though they knew facts I didn't know about the jw's) - or perhaps they just wanted to keep relative peace in the family.

I'm going through the same thing with my husband's jw family. The elder (b-i-l) has been a royal pain (being one of the "glorious ones as the WTBTS called the elders) condemning my children's living style, their getting college educated, becoming & marrying "money grubbing lawyers", my husband's short beard, and our sounding "very close to apostates." Jerk - and I like him! Well, did.

As for the overflow at KH meetings - it's happening everywhere in all churches....just watch any news reports on it. And they say the same thing, it always happens. But NO! JW's want to believe it's ONLY their KH's - so I guess they don't watch the news, or think the news is lying about it. Persecuting jw's again.

As for your son "who's not part of it" - the good looking twit (my nephew, btw) better be glad he just happened not to work/live near the WTC - he would have been part of it whether he liked it or not. And he would have been soooooo grateful that Ceasar provided all those Red Cross, Salvation Army, Firemen, Doctors, Police, trained dogs, etc., to rescue his sorry ass.

Of course, Jehovah God would have had nothing to do with saving anybody, JW or not. Not his style. This is Satan's world. "Time and unforseen circumstances befall us all."

Ok ok ok. venting done. whew!

With sisterly love,

waiting

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Hi all,

After talking to my father in law on the phone a few days ago, he told me how since the events of the 11th, attendence for the meetings and field service have been way up. I thought to myself "well of course it is! all the inactive jws are suddenly coming back 'just in case' this is the 'big one'!" If God were orchestrating this whole thing, would he want people flocking back just because they were scared out of their mind at the thought that this was the end of days?
    talk about hypocritical! (ok done venting now )

BW

"The important thing is to not stop questioning" Albert Einstein

• blondie
    blondie

No change in attendance by me or near me.

• larc
    larc

Patio,

I had a pleasant surprise. Yesterday I talked to my JW sister about the recent tragedy. You would have never known she was a Witness. She never once brought up any religious implications. I think the reason is that I have been out so long that she has given up on "sheparding" me. I talk to her on the phone about once every two weeks and our conversations are always very cordial. I will have to add that it took 15 years for her to get to this stage in our relationship.

Regarding Witnesses here,

I am amazed when they come here to offer their beliefs. As several of you have pointed out, we know everything they know and a whole lot more. On any given day there are a hundred or more of us, who can give them facts and figures on any subject they want to discuss. We also have experts here. An example is someone like AlanF who has done a thorough review and critique of the JW creation book. The JW posters really have no idea what they are getting themselves into. "Pride goeth before a fall" is a scripture they should keep in mind.

It is kind of funny. If they met just one of us at the door, and we said we were former believers, but not any longer, they would beat a very hasty retreat. Here they are willing to take on an entire cyber roomful of us.

• outsider_looking_in
  • ballistic
    ballistic

As has been noted on this board in the past, some witnesses have admitted to counting time when "witnessing" on boards such as this.
    I pioneered once, so I know what it is like when the pressure to count time over takes genuine concern for people; yes I admit to that.
    It's kind of sick isn't it when we come to share and give, and witnesses come to clock up minutes for their field service report, but there again, isn't the whole counting time thing a bit sick, as if the hours people give are building up some strange bank balance in heaven?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit