Victims of Groupthink

by larc 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

sf,

I have genuine sympathy for your situation. I've always said that those who had it worst were not those who left the WTS voluntarily, but those who were thrown out and told they were wrongdoers. Especially for someone in your situation where you didn't have the Net for so many years to find out you weren't alone.

I hope you get the help you seek.

• sf
    sf

Your words here are noted and appreciated.

sKally

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

larc I spent several hours today reading about "Group Think" wish the original book was not out of print. So far I've had no luck laying my hands on a copy. Stimulating stuff.

• larc
    larc

I brought this up for Hillary and any others who missed this.

Teejay,

You asked of Groupthink is ever a good thing. I think Amazing's examples would fit. I would add that Groupthink is probably a good thing when people have to implement a very structured plan where a specific goal is known. Army battles, firefighting, and some manufacturing operations probably would fit. Groupthink is especially dangerous when there are ambiguities, unknown information, and/or the goals are not clear.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Larc,thank`s for bringing this up.I hadn`t seen it before.From Chow mein to group think.You do come up with the threads.This is a good one...OUTLAW

• teejay
    teejay

Larc,

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is Amazing a good or bad example of groupthink?

• larc
    larc

teejay,

I didn't explain that well. Let me restate it. I meant Amazings examples on this thread. He meantioned the military and fire fighting as examples where Groupthink is a good thing.

• teejay
    teejay

Oooo-kaaaay.

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

I have become very interested in this subject since reading Cialdini's The Psychology of Persuasion. It is interesting how the dynamics of Groupthink also play out on this board at times. Especially, when it means possible negative consequences against the WTS. No matter how far fetched and absurd the story may be (There have been plenty of those here). We look for others to observe what our appropriate response should be in situations of that nature.When someone raises their hand to ask a question, it is quickly slapped down by the others. They are told to keep quiet. How dare you not follow the herd?!

The Latter Day Saints (as they prefer to be called), or Mormons, take group think to a new level. Back in the 19th century when their leader, Joseph Smith, was murdered in Missouri, they bound together even stronger in their purpose to survive and grow. Outside forces trying to destroy them only made them more determined to endure and in the coming years, thrive. So strong was their common goals.

Along with the military, I think that law enforcement also utilizes group think. Many police, and correction officers, come from a military background. They also have the "us vs.them" mentality. We, the "them", are "civilians". I understand because of the life threatening situations they are faced with on a daily basis, the bonds of separateness are natural. However, it becomes harmful when one sees wrongdoing and corruption within the ranks, and there is hesitation, and justifiable fear, of coming forward and reporting fellow officers. Whistle blowers in the ranks generally have their careers destroyed, and sometimes face threats of violence to themselves and their families.

I agree with Amazing that Groupthink works when there is a a single identifiable goal. The bottom line is,however, GroupThink's dangers far out weigh it's benefits.

Andee

• teejay
    teejay

It is interesting how the dynamics of Groupthink also play out on this board at times... When someone raises their hand to ask a question, it is quickly slapped down by the others. They are told to keep quiet. How dare you not follow the herd?!

GDW,

Surely you jest! Here??! Groupthink?!!! Naaaaahhhh!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit