Aposta-Library/Museum

by parakeet 11 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Jerry Bergman claims to have one of the best Watchtower libraries around. (how come he never posts here by the way?) I bet Penton has a good library too, and Franz has a lot of stuff from files and documents he stashed away when he left the leadership.

I don't buy this about the society "burning" old literature by the way - yet another apostate myth I suspect. (Why "burning" anyway? Why not simply throw it away if they were so inclined? Is there an element of ritual implied? - this has the hallmarks of a myth all over it...)

Slim

• parakeet
    parakeet

Thanks all for your responses. I'm glad to read that at least a few think the idea has some merit. The idea just came to me today, so I haven't thought through any details such as funding, location (although NYC would probably be best), and who would run it. Lack of general interest would also be a problem -- interest in WTS/JWs would be limited to a niche audience, to say the least.

An electronic library with a complete listing of WTS publications would, of course, reach far more people than a physical library. I've gathered from past posts that a web site that featured extensive reproductions of WT literature has recently been shut down because the WTS claimed copyright infringement. I don't know if similar restrictions would apply to WT literature in a physical library open to the public.

I'm in no position myself to pursue this idea, as I must maintain my anonymity for now (lack of funds and rural location are also obstacles). Nor am I knowledgeable about WTS history and old publications. Some here have made extensive studies, and compared to them I know virtually nothing. I just decided to throw the idea out there and see if anyone thinks it worth picking up the ball and running with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit